Online Airport Security Management Courses
The following descriptions are for commonly offered online airport security management courses.
- Airport Security Coordinator Course: This class provides students with a general outline of airport security management responsibilities, which consist of overseeing all terminals, airfields, grounds and airspace. Students learn about securing passenger and cargo terminal facilities, airport security revenues, expenses and liability issues and U.S. Federal Aviation Administration safety regulations.
- Airport Security Design Course: Students in this course examine the physical protection of airport facilities. Key security measures, like baggage and passenger screening and use of drug and explosive sniffing dog teams, are addressed. Students also learn about integrated security systems for effective airport-wide defense coverage.
- Airport Cargo Security Course: The protection of passenger luggage and freight cargo is central to this course. Topics of study include understanding airport logistics, analyzing cargo vulnerability and implementing proven asset protection measures. Effective ways to handle dangerous goods passing through airports are also covered.
- Passenger Security Course: Students in this class learn the security measures that must be adhered to as passengers pass through airport checkpoints. The class explores behavior recognition techniques to detect passengers that may pose a security risk.
- Civil Aviation Standards Compliance Course: After completing this course, students should be familiar with International Civil Aviation Organization safety and security standards, policies and recommended procedures. This allows students to make sound decisions about airport security and implement realistic precautionary strategies.
- Security and Terrorism Issues Course: This class covers the range of security issues stemming from a rise in domestic and international terrorist acts directed at the aviation industry. Topics include the history of terrorist warfare, counter-terrorism security measures, and working with local law enforcement and national security agencies to identify threats to airports, airplanes, and aviation personnel.
- Unmanned Aerial Systems Course: As unmanned aerial systems and vehicles become increasingly prevalent, airport security managers can benefit from this course, which provides an overview of the operations and applications of these technologies. Students learn about fundamental technical aspects such as flight controls and remote sensing, as well as the commercial and military uses of unmanned aerial systems.
- Occupational Health and Safety Course: In this course, future managers are introduced to the Occupational Health and Safety (OSH) Act. They learn how to create airport management plans that comply with this law in order to ensure the health and safety of all airport staff.
An online associate, bachelor, or master's degree program in aviation security management usually includes coursework in airport, airline, corporate, and general aviation safety and security as well as working collaboratively with federal security agencies. Graduate certificates and continuing education courses are also available to professionals already working in the field. Employment opportunities for airport security managers span medium, large and major hub airports to smaller municipal airfields that serve the general public.
A job as an airport security manager requires general management knowledge as well as expertise in key aviation and security concepts. Online courses can provide relevant education in each of these areas.