Several four-year universities and colleges, both public and private, offer online or hybrid degree options for prospective teachers. Some degree programs can be completed entirely online, while others offer a combination of online and campus-based coursework. In either case, individuals must complete student teaching at a school in their area. For online programs, students need to ensure that their computers have audio and video conferencing capability.
A bachelor's degree is required for those interested in obtaining teaching certification or licensure. Students can find several online four-year degree programs in fields such as elementary, middle or secondary education and areas like special education or early childhood education. Some schools also offer master's degrees in teaching or education for those who have an unrelated bachelor's degree and are looking to enter the teaching profession.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Agricultural Education for Teachers
- Art Teacher Education
- Biology Education for Teachers
- Business Teacher Education
- Chemistry Teacher Education
- Drama and Dance Teacher Education
- Driver Safety Teacher Education
- English Teacher Education
- Foreign Language Education for Teachers
- French Language Teacher Education
- Geography Teacher Education
- German Language Teacher Education
- Health Occupations Teacher Education
- Health Teacher Education
- History Teacher Education
- Home Economics Teacher Education
- Industrial Arts Teacher Education
- Latin Teacher Education
- Mathematics Teacher Education
- Music Teacher Education
- Physical Education and Coaching
- Physics Teacher Education
- Psychology Teacher Education
- Sales and Marketing Teacher Education
- Science Teacher Education
- Social Science Teacher Education
- Social Studies Teacher Education
- Spanish Education for Teachers
- Speech Teacher Education
- Teaching, Computers
- Teaching, Reading
- Technical Teacher Education
- Vocational Teacher Education
Distance Learning for Teacher Preparation
Usually, online teaching programs work much like other online degrees, providing students with a login to school education software that can be accessed via the Web. This software usually combines email, forum, and instant messaging communication with a system that allows students to take tests and turn in assignments. This may also provide real-time grading of a student's work and audio or video conference capability to allow for easier class interaction.
Program Information and Requirements
Teachers in public institutions must have both a 4-year degree from an accredited college or university, usually in the subject they will teach, and a state-approved teaching certificate, often earned at the same time as the student's degree. Requirements for teaching certificates vary from state to state, but usually a period of student teaching is necessary, which requires some kind of in-person contact.
Online-only colleges and universities will sometimes work with students' local school districts to place them in a school for a term of in-classroom teaching. This fulfills the student teaching requirements of licensure and gives prospective teachers invaluable face-to-face experience with a class. In addition to the academic and practice teaching requirements, prospective public school educators must pass a certification exam.
Coursework in an online teacher education program is in keeping with that required in traditional on-campus programs. Bachelor's degree programs require general education coursework and foundational courses in education, along with specialization classes focused on the chosen grade level or teaching subject. Common courses in a teaching education program include:
• Instructional methods
• Instructional technology
• Academic assessment
• Curriculum development
• Classroom and behavior management
To recap, online coursework in education is available often in conjunction with a student teaching experience at a local school. Prospective students should ensure they possess the necessary software for videoconferencing.