Earning Your Connecticut High School Diploma!

Aug 09, 2018

A high school diploma can often open doors to further your career or educational goals. The state of Connecticut offers opportunities to adults who did not earn their diplomas in the traditional manner, including some that do not require additional schooling.

View Popular Schools

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

94% college-bound high school students
…said it was important to communicate with colleges during the search process. (Source: Noel-Levitz 2012 trend study)

Select a school or program

View More Schools
Show Me Schools
  • 0:04 Earning a Diploma in…
  • 0:39 Graduation Requirements
  • 1:03 ABE Program
  • 1:31 GED Credential
  • 2:04 AHSCD Program
  • 2:43 NEDP Program

Find the perfect school

Earning a Diploma in Connecticut

As an adult who did not earn a high school diploma, you may find it difficult to pursue some education or work opportunities. Luckily, the state of Connecticut offers several options to help adult learners.

The adult basic education (ABE) program prepares adults to reach a level where they're ready for secondary education. The adult high school credit diploma (AHSCD) is available for those who need structured education. You may also consider the national external diploma program (NEDP), which requires no schooling.

Graduation Requirements

In order to graduate from high school in Connecticut, students must earn 20 credits. You will need to get your credits from the following areas:

  • English: 4 credits
  • Social Studies: 3 credits
  • Math: 3 credits
  • Science: 2 credits
  • Career or Vocational Education/Arts: 1 credit
  • Electives: 7 credits

ABE Program

If an adult wishes to enter a secondary education program but needs additional preparation, the state of Connecticut offers an ABE program to help them acquire the skills necessary to work toward a high school diploma. After completing the ABE program, adults will be ready to enter a program designed to help them earn a high school diploma or its equivalent. Connecticut also offers citizenship and English as a Second Language (ESL) programs.

GED Credential

If you are at least 19 years old, you can take the GED, which stands for the General Equivalency Development or General Equivalency Diploma exam, to receive your high school diploma in Connecticut. You're not required to take a practice test, but it can be help you to be better prepared for the actual exam. You must score 150 on each section and a 600 when the sections are combined to pass the exam. Testing sections include language arts (including reading and writing), math, science, and social studies.

AHSCD Program

The AHSCD can be earned by taking courses through local education agencies (LEA) or regional education service centers (RESC). Aside from coursework, credits may also be earned for experience, either work or military, online courses or independent study projects.

The state requires you to earn a minimum of 20 credits. However, the local school or area may have additional requirements. Upon completion of the program, the LEA or RESC awards the high school diploma. You can find AHSCD programs online, as well as in a regular classroom setting.

NEDP Program

If you're an adult who has life or work experience, as well as proven competence in a job, academic area, or specific talent, then the NEDP may be ideal for you. This NEDP program requires no class work; credit is awarded based on a portfolio assessment. The high school diploma is awarded by the local LEA or RESC.

Let's review. You'll need a minimum of 20 combined credits in English, math, science, and vocational studies to earn a high school diploma in Connecticut. Depending on your situation, you can prepare to earn your credential through the ABE, AHSCD, GED, NEDP assessments or programs.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?