Earning Your Idaho High School Diploma!

To help adult residents who never finished high school, Idaho offers programs meant to provide the foundational skills necessary to completing a high school education. Adult students may earn their GED or enroll in an online program at an accredited online high school or university to take courses towards their high school diploma.

Idaho High School Diploma and Equivalent Credentials

The Idaho Career & Technical Education (ICTE) division oversees the GED test that assists adults with obtaining secondary school credentials. The program is meant to increase the educational level of adults in Idaho, thereby allowing them to pursue better jobs and higher education.

The GED Program in Idaho

The General Educational Development (GED) credential tests knowledge similar to what a graduate of high school would have. The test consists of language arts, social studies, science, and math. The credential can substitute for a high school diploma for entrance into most higher education programs, as well as meeting the requirements for employment or the military. The GED test is only available at authorized testing centers, never online or by correspondence, and it is available in English and Spanish.

Applicants must be 18 and withdrawn from school to sit for the test without restriction. Students who are at least 16 can also take the test if they complete an age waiver.

The minimum passing score is 580, with no individual subject matter score below 145.

Getting Your GED

The Idaho Adult Education (AE) program provides free GED preparation courses at its regional locations. A pretest is not required to take the GED. A listing of the program locations is available on the AE website (

Adult students ready to take the GED test have a handful of testing centers to choose from in Idaho. Information about the locations of the testing centers is available on the GED website. The GED test can be accomplished in one test session, but there are options to take the different parts at different times, depending on where a person schedules the exam. The GED website suggests checking with the testing center where you are interested in testing.

Idaho's High School Equivalency Certificate

Adults in the state of Idaho can apply for their High School Equivalency Certificate (HSEC). If they have obtained their GED before 2014, they are required to have completed and passed a course in American government. The credential is only valid in Idaho, whereas the GED is valid throughout the nation.

Getting Your HSEC

The adult student must first pass the GED tests. The second step is to take and pass a high school level course on American government (only if the GED was taken before 2014). These courses can be found at Idaho's technical colleges, universities or the AE centers. Once the student has met all requirements, he or she then needs to fill out the application to obtain a HSEC certificate. The application asks for the student's GED testing information and a transcript proving a passing grade on the American government course, if necessary. The application also must be notarized in order to be processed.

Receiving Your High School Diploma Through Online Study

By enrolling in an online high school, you may take the courses needed to complete your high school diploma. The school may be in a different state and needs to be properly accredited. You should first check the requirements of the postsecondary school you are planning to attend in order to take the appropriate courses. The online high school issues the diploma after you complete your courses.

Alternatively, Brigham Young University in Provo, UT, offers online high school courses through independent study. Adult students who are over 19 may enroll in the university's Adult Diploma Program. Adult students receive their diploma from the Provo (Utah) School District. Both the online high school and university programs have tuition requirements.

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma or GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?