Earning Your Indiana High School Diploma!

Adults in Indiana who do not have a high school diploma have three ways to earn their diploma. They may participate in a state program to complete their high school credits, earn their diploma by completing certain college credit courses or pass the Test of Adult Secondary Credit (TASC).

View popular schools

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Agriculture
  • Architecture
  • Biological and Biomedical Sciences
  • Business
  • Communications and Journalism
  • Computer Sciences
  • Culinary Arts and Personal Services
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Legal
  • Liberal Arts and Humanities
  • Mechanic and Repair Technologies
  • Medical and Health Professions
  • Physical Sciences
  • Psychology
  • Transportation and Distribution
  • Visual and Performing Arts

Earn a High School Diploma in Indiana

Indiana no longer uses the GED as of 2014. Instead, individuals can take the Test of Adult Secondary Credit to earn the High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma. There are several programs for adults living in Indiana who do not possess a high school diploma and want to earn one or its equivalent.

Adult Secondary Credit (ASC) Program

Indiana's Adult Secondary Credit program allows adults to obtain high school credits and earn a high school diploma. These programs are offered by the county and you obtain high school credit for mastery of the subject, not for time you spend in the classroom. Adult students may have to pay rental fees for their books, or pay minimal fees for online classes.

To find an Indiana Adult Education program, locate your area on the interactive state map in the adult education section of the Indiana Department of Workforce Development website (http://www.in.gov/dwd/adulted_locations.htm). Contact your local adult education center for specific requirements.

Fast Track to College Program

If you're age 17 or older and want to earn a high school diploma along with college credit, you may apply for the state's Fast Track to College Program. Individuals age 19 or older must not be enrolled in any school, and those ages 17 or 18 must have the permission of the last high school they attended. Any existing high school credits must be transferred to the post-secondary institution. To obtain their diploma, students must pass an approved high school equivalency examination, along with completing any required credits.

Indiana's High School Equivalency Diploma (HSE)

The HSE was developed by CTB/McGraw-Hill and is administered by individual states and jurisdictions. This assessment is called the Test of Adult Secondary Credit (TASC), also known in Indiana as the Indiana High School Equivalency test. Most colleges, universities and employers accept the High School Equivalency Diploma credential. Indiana Adult Education programs offer free math, reading and writing courses for adults who want to earn their diploma or take this exam.

To be eligible to take the HSE, candidates must be 18 years old. Indiana residents who are age 16 or 17 may take the exam if the candidate has officially exited high school and provides a signed letter by a school system superintendent in accordance with Indiana Code (IC 22-4.1-18-1). Test takers must be Indiana residents for at least 30 days and have a valid picture ID.

The TASC test is composed of five sections in subjects needed to graduate from high school. They are mathematics, social studies, science, and reading and writing (including an essay). Passing the TASC requires scoring a minimum of 500 points per section.

The TASC is given only at official HSE testing centers and is available as a paper version and online. Contact your local adult education center via the Indiana state interactive map for specific requirements. Fees are $52 and includes the full battery of tests, and two retests; however, this does not include administration fees which may be up to $18 per subject.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?