Event coordinator courses can most commonly be taken through meeting and event planning certificate programs, although associate degree programs are available at some schools. Students may enroll in certificate programs through the continuing education departments of many 4-year universities and colleges.
Ten Schools with Event Coordinator Programs
Knowing the location, type of institution and course, and tuition costs, as are presented for the schools below, should help prospective event coordinators choose the program that best meet their needs:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Program type||Tuition (2016)|
|University of North Carolina - Charlotte||Charlotte, NC||4-year, Public||60-hour certificate||$1,895 (program cost)*|
|Harper College||Palatine, IL||2-year, Public||Online certificate||$613 (program cost)*|
|Joliet Junior College||Joliet, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$3,450 in-district, $10,508 in-state, $11,187 out-of-state (per year)**|
|University of Massachusetts||Shrewsbury, MA||4-year, Public||Online certificate||$1,620 (program cost)*|
|Duke University||Durham, NC||4-year, Private||115-hour certificate||$2,995 (program cost)*|
|University of California - Irvine||Irvine, CA||4-year, Public||90-hour certificate||$2,995 (program cost)*|
|Austin Community College||Austin, TX||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$2,550 in-district, $9,210 in-state, $11,340 out-of-state (per year)**|
|San Diego State University||San Diego, CA||4-year, Public||70-hour certificate||$6,976 in-state, $18,136 out-of-state (per year)**|
|Montgomery College||Rockville, MD||2-year, Public||22-hour certificate||$4,728 in-district, $9,156 in-state, $12,432 out-of-state (per year)**|
|University of Miami||Coral Gables, FL||4-year, Private||Online certificate||$3,495 (program cost)*|
Sources: *School websites, **NCES
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Resort Management
- Resort, Hotel, Motel, and Spa Management
- Restaurant Mgmt
- Travel and Tourism Management
School Selection Criteria
Consider the following when looking for schools with event coordinating programs:
- The level of previous experience that a student possesses, as well as the level required by the school. Some programs may have minimum experience requirements for admission.
- The emphasis certificate programs place on current trends, such as green and sustainable event planning.
- Courses that are helpful to a student's needs. Students starting their own event planning businesses should look for coursework on business setup and management. A student interested in marketing his or her skills as a budget coordinator should choose a school with more focus on budgeting and inexpensive design techniques.
- Opportunities for hands-on education. The best programs will include practical projects or the chance to shadow or intern as an event coordinator.
Meeting and Event Planning Certificate Overview
Meeting and event planning certificate programs educate aspiring and professional coordinators on current trends and techniques used to plan and schedule events. Students learn to identify target attendance groups, assess a client's needs and market an event. They also learn current applications and technology used in the field. Hands-on training in event training is gained in a final portfolio project that students can use to demonstrate skills to potential employers.
Both online and in-person options are available for event coordination education, which allows for flexibility while completing a certificate program. Associate's degrees also exist, and all programs will cover the start-to-finish event planning process.