School and Ranking Info
There are two schools within five miles of San Diego that offer programs in fashion merchandising, and one of them is a for-profit institute. The remaining school is a high-ranking private, not-for-profit university that offers an undergraduate concentration in fashion merchandising.
- Winner: Point Loma Nazarene University is a 4-year, liberal arts school affiliated with the Christian church. Degree-seeking students who major in fashion and interiors can specialize in fashion merchandising and prepare for careers as buyers, fashion directors or sales specialists, among other related professions.
School Info Chart
|Category||Point Loma Nazarene University|
|Rankings||#16 among Regional Universities in the West;
#15 among Best Value Schools in the West (2015)*
|Location||San Diego, CA|
|School Type||4-year; private, not-for-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $30,356**|
|Fashion Merchandising Degrees Offered||Bachelor's|
|Fashion Merchandising Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||6**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for Fall 2007 Entering Class||72%**|
|Noteworthy||The university's Fermanian Business and Economic Institute provides students with opportunities to interact with faculty members and outside professionals|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Business Marketing Operations
- Fashion Merchandising
- Hospitality Marketing Operations
- Insurance, General
- Marketing for Apparel and Accessories
- Marketing for Travel and Tourism Operations
- Real Estate Sales, Appraisal, and Finance
- Special Product Marketing
- Tourism Promotion Operations
- Vehicle and Vehicle Parts Marketing
Point Loma Nazarene University
- Fashion merchandising internships with designers and retailers
- Annual student fashion shows
- University's off-campus programs allow for study abroad
- Relevant extracurricular activities include Phi Upsilon Omicron, a family and consumer science honor society
Point Loma Nazarene University has an annual student enrollment of approximately 3,360 and a student-teacher ratio of 14:1. The Family and Consumer Sciences Department offers Bachelor of Arts (BA) programs in child and adolescent development, family and consumer sciences, fashion and interiors, dietetics and nutrition. Minors in child development and nutrition are also available.
Candidates for the BA in Fashion and Interiors who concentrate in fashion merchandising take lower-level courses in financial accounting and management, costume history, clothing construction and fashion industry practices. Upper-level courses include fashion buying and retailing, clothing design, textile science and visual presentations. Students also learn about the relationship between clothing and human behavior. Additional coursework in computer graphics, drawing, entrepreneurship or visual symbolism may also be part of the program.