School and Ranking Info
The two schools in Charlotte, NC, that offer programs in fashion merchandising include a for-profit art institute and a private, not-for-profit university that awards associate's and bachelor's degrees. One of the top regional universities in the North for 2015, the latter offers a select number of career-oriented programs that emphasize professional skill building, industry knowledge and practical experience.
- Winner: Johnson & Wales University is a multi-campus school with locations in Denver, CO; North Miami, FL; Providence, RI; and Charlotte, NC. Students at the Charlotte campus can pursue a bachelor's degree program in fashion merchandising through the College of Management.
School Info Chart
|Category||Johnson & Wales University|
|Rankings||#65 among Regional Universities in the North (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year; public|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $27,456**|
|Fashion Merchandising Degree Awards Offered||Bachelor's|
|Fashion Merchandising Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||21**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 entering class||62%**|
|Noteworthy||Campus chapter of the National Society for Leadership and Success; student organizations include the Fashion Society|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Business Marketing Operations
- Fashion Merchandising
- Hospitality Marketing Operations
- Insurance, General
- Marketing for Apparel and Accessories
- Marketing for Travel and Tourism Operations
- Real Estate Sales, Appraisal, and Finance
- Special Product Marketing
- Tourism Promotion Operations
- Vehicle and Vehicle Parts Marketing
Johnson & Wales University
- Retail lab course allows students to train in a simulated fashion environment
- Retail merchandising seminar includes case studies and field trips
- Term-long fashion merchandising internship
- Opportunity to study abroad, which may be used to fulfill some of the general education requirements
Johnson & Wales University enrolls approximately 2,300 students each year and offers programs in business, family and consumer science, culinary arts and recreation. The College of Management includes the School of Business, where students can earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Marketing. All undergraduate majors at the school include a business core. Students can also take advantage of career conferences and services, competitions and opportunities for networking.
The BS in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Marketing program includes core courses in business accounting and law, information technology, microeconomics and spreadsheet design. To fulfill the requirements for the major, students also take classes in merchandise buying and math, consumer behavior, retail strategies and textiles. The program allows for one elective in brand marketing, fashion forecasting or visual merchandising, among other related topics. Seniors take a class in decision making for retail executives.