Comprehensive Appraiser Exam Prep Courses
Appraiser licensing exams are typically for the real estate industry and are designed to help individuals become certified or state licensed appraisers. While there are some free resources available to simplify preparations for these exams, those who are interested in full exam prep courses for AQB Certified General Appraiser exams can go to Study.com. For a nominal fee, students can access video lessons on key appraisal topics and test their knowledge with practice quizzes and chapter exams. They can also submit questions to lesson instructors.
Different states have their own exams and requirements to become a certified general appraiser. State-specific prep courses on Study.com include the following:
- Georgia AQB Certified General Appraiser Exam: Study Guide- Study information such as the real estate market, land use and income approach to valuation.
- Texas AQB Certified General Appraiser Exam: Study Guide- Learn more about real estate investment, land regulation and property ownership.
- Illinois AQB Certified General Appraiser Exam: Study Guide- Review information about real estate investment, transferring property, land descriptions and more.
- Florida AQB Certified General Appraiser Exam: Study Guide- Get up to speed on the real estate market, the Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice (USPAP) and the sales comparison approach.
- Arizona AQB Certified General Appraiser Exam: Study Guide- Discover information about land use, transferring real property and the cost approach.
Free Online Exam Prep Materials for the Appraiser Licensing Exam
Most appraiser licensing exam prep materials that are available on the Internet require the user to pay. However, there are a few free online resources suitable for appraiser licensing exam preparation and general knowledge of the field. Some of those resources are listed below.
Free Online Appraiser Licensing Exam Preparation Information List
Applied Measurement Professionals, Inc.
Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) is a company that offers private industries, professional associations and government agencies testing and assessment services. It's also a resource for individuals looking to prepare for and take their real estate appraiser license exam. AMP's website allows users to locate the licensing requirements for their state and download a preparation handbook. Depending on the state, individuals can pursue entry-level to the highest level of real estate appraiser credentialing.
- Appraisal Examination Handbooks provide links to the appropriate state websites, testing centers and registration information along with access to a candidate handbook. Once on the Candidate Services page of the AMP website, users need to click on the ''select a category'' tab, pick a category (real estate), then select the state appraiser exam program or state appraiser board and the credential that they are interested in.
The Appraisal Foundation, the organization responsible for setting real estate appraiser standards, offers free resources to assist current and future appraisers in gaining a quality understanding of the field. Included in these free resources are white papers and brochures on appraisal.
- Brochures on Appraisal cover residential appraisal, qualifications of an appraiser and entering the profession. The foundation also provides appraiser factsheets and infographics. These materials are not intended for exam preparation but can provide useful information on common industry topics.
- White Papers offered by the Appraisal Foundation are developed by its board members and senior staff members. Topics covered in the white papers include alternative valuation products, distressed real estate assets, the world's major valuation standards and appraiser management systems. The documents, available as downloadable PDFs, are not intended for exam preparation.
National Association of Realtors
The National Association of Realtors has a membership that consists of real estate professionals, such as brokers, property managers, counselors and appraisers, and aims to help them reach success in their professions. The association offers a variety of educational resources, including its library and archives, which compile print and online information related to real estate, and its REALTOR Magazine.
- Realtor Magazine has appraisal articles that are not specific to licensing preparation, but the information may be useful in gaining an understanding of the career. Article topics range from low appraisal values, commercial appraisals and appraisal discrepancies. Articles are from real estate professionals and are text only.
West Valley College
In 2011, West Valley College offered an online course presented by instructor Matt Boxberger. The original version of this course was approved for credit by the California Bureau of Real Estate and featured a proctored final exam, but current students will not have access to this course feature. The course videos are currently available free of charge on YouTube.
- Real Estate Appraisal Principles and Procedures consists of 18 videos covering 14 sessions of coursework. Topics covered include licensing and certification, real property and property ownership, real estate transactions, appraisal principles and types of appraisal reports. Most videos in this course are 15-30 minutes in length. To follow along with the course, students might benefit from the textbook Fundamentals of Real Estate Appraisal.