GED FAQs: How Do I Register for the GED?

The General Educational Development (GED) Test allows persons without a high school diploma to earn an equivalent credential, but each state set its own process, fees and requirements for registering for the exam. Knowing and following the procedure for your particular state or jurisdiction is key to registering for the exam.

View popular schools

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Agriculture
  • Architecture
  • Biological and Biomedical Sciences
  • Business
  • Communications and Journalism
  • Computer Sciences
  • Culinary Arts and Personal Services
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Legal
  • Liberal Arts and Humanities
  • Mechanic and Repair Technologies
  • Medical and Health Professions
  • Physical Sciences
  • Psychology
  • Transportation and Distribution
  • Visual and Performing Arts

Answers to Your Questions About GED Registration

Who is Eligible?

Anyone who is currently enrolled in high school or already has a high school diploma is ineligible to take the exam. Some states require that candidates take a preparatory course and/or the GED Official Practice Exam before they can register. Your local test center or your state's department of education can provide the test policies and requirements for your location. The GED Testing Service website, has links leading to the policies for all the states and jurisdictions, including military bases and correctional facilities (www.GEDTestingService.com).

You should be at least 16 years old on the day you take the GED. However, most states and jurisdictions require extra documentation if you are 16 or 17 years old. Find out from your test center or test administrator what additional forms or paperwork you may need.

What Special Accommodations Are Available?

Visual and hearing impairments, learning disabilities, mental or emotional illness and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are among the conditions that qualify for special accommodations. You'll need to provide documentation of your disability from a qualified health professional or evaluator, as well as any school or other reports that support your case. Requests for accommodations are made through the GED Testing Service website.

How Do I Find Authorized Sites?

The GED is offered at thousands official testing sites in and outside of the U.S. Locate your nearest center by typing your zip code into the GED Testing Service's online locator. You can also call the toll-free hotline at 1-877-EXAM-GED (877-392-6433) or contact your state department of education. If you are eligible to take the GED, but you live outside of the U.S., contact the GED Testing Service for testing information.

GED Testing Locations

Be aware that the GED test cannot be taken online. Your nearest physical location for taking the test might be a community college, a high school or an adult learning center. Contact your test site, your test administrator or the state website for information about testing times and directions to the center. The GED Testing Service's website provides a testing center locator.

GED Administrators

Test administrators are in charge of GED testing for each state or jurisdiction. Their names and contact information are usually found with the address of the department of education or other office that manages testing for your state. Contact your administrator if you have questions about finding a test center, eligibility, or special accommodations. Ask your administrator or local test center about the testing fee since it varies from state to state.

Legitimate Online GED Sites

A website that advertises an online GED credential may be a 'diploma mill' or even fraudulent. These tests don't meet the rigorous standards of the GED, and any credential you receive is not likely to be accepted by colleges or prospective employers.

Legitimate websites for information include the GED Testing Service website and state sites. Official state GED information is usually found on the state's department of education site.

What Steps and Documentation Are Needed?

Registration for the GED exam requires setting-up a MyGED account on the GED website (www.GED.com). On the test day, proof of identity such as a birth certificate, passport or driver's license may be required, as well as proof of residency. As previously mentioned, additional documentation may be required for test-takers under 18 or 19 years old.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?