School and Ranking Info
Aspiring graphic design professionals in the Fort Wayne, IN, area can choose between a for-profit institution and a high-ranking regional college. Identified as a 'Best Value School' by U.S. News & World Report in 2015, this private, not-for-profit university offers both a major and minor in graphic design, as well as opportunities for internships and travel.
- Winner: Huntington University is located a little over 25 miles away from Fort Wayne, IN, and is affiliated with the Church of the United Brethren. It provides students with the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design while studying in a Christian, faith-based environment.
School Info Chart
|Rankings||#14 among Regional Colleges in the Midwest;
#5 among Best Value Schools in the Midwest (2015)*
|School Type||4-year; private, not-for-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $24,040**|
|Graphic Design Degrees Offered||Bachelor's|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||62%**|
|Noteworthy||On-campus Merillat Centre for the Arts includes the Robert E. Wilson Gallery, which offers seasonal visual arts exhibitions|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Advertising and Commercial Design
- Commercial Photography
- Fashion Design
- General Visual Communications Design
- Graphic Design
- Illustration and Drawing
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design and Decorating
- Graphic design majors train in up-to-date facilities with current technology
- Graphic design majors can participate in an off-campus internship
- Visual art students go on cultural field trips in the Midwest; biannual art study trips abroad
- Relevant extracurricular activities include Kappa Pi, an international fraternity for art students
Huntington University enrolls just over 1,120 students a year and has a student-to-teacher ratio of 13:1. In 2014, the university made The Princeton Review's list of 'Best Midwestern Colleges', as well as the Forbes survey of 'Top Colleges' in the U.S. for 2013, the only school in the Fort Wayne, IN, area to enjoy this distinction. More than 80% of its faculty members have a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or the highest degree in their field. Huntington University offers more than 70 programs at the undergraduate level, including majors and/or minors in fine or studio art, art education and graphic design, available through the Visual Arts Department
The Bachelor of Science in Graphic Design program requires 62-64 credits of major coursework in traditional art disciplines, such as art history, drawing, illustration and photography. Technical instruction includes the use of the latest software programs and provides training in raster and vector graphics, computer illustration, Web design and visual communication. The program culminates in a senior exhibition and project. Similar coursework can be found in the graphic design minor, which requires 22 credits to complete.