Health Claims Examiner: Trade School Diploma Overview

Oct 10, 2019

Essential Information

Health claims examiner studies are often part of a medical billing and coding program. Applicants for these programs need to have a high school diploma or GED. They typically take a year to complete and require the completion of field experience in a medical office. In some states, health claims examiners must be licensed, but requirements for licensing vary.

Health Claims Examiner Diploma

Health claims examiner diploma programs are designed to provide students with broad exposure to the types of terminology and technology that they will use on the job. Common health claims examiner courses include:

  • Medical terminology
  • Anatomy and physiology
  • Medical office administration
  • Health data requirements
  • Medical billing and coding
  • Health insurance billing standards

Employment Outlook and Salary Info

Job openings for medical records and health information technicians are predicted to rise by 11% between 2018 and 2028, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics ( Job prospects should be strongest for applicants with a thorough understanding of computer software and technology. The median annual wage for medical records and health information technicians was $40,350 in 2018. The 2018 median annual wage for claims examiners, adjusters and investigators was $65,900, per the BLS.

Continuing Education

Some states require health claims examiners to pass standardized tests to receive licensure before gaining employment. Continuing education is often an important factor in renewing and maintaining a license or certification, although exact requirements vary from state to state. The credits that students receive during a diploma program may transfer to a college or university where they may be applied toward an associate's degree. Experienced examiners may advance their career by gaining advanced certification in a specialty or by enrolling in a bachelor's degree program in health information. If interested, graduates with a bachelor's degree can go on to study for a master's degree.

Students wanting to start a career in health claims assessment and adjustment may start by earning a health claims examiner diploma. Depending on the state, these diplomas may prepare students for licensure exams, or award credits that may transfer to a higher required degree.

Next: View Schools
Created with Sketch. Link to this page

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?