Online Courses in Truck Repair
Below are some of the courses related to truck repair that can be taken online.
- General Automotive Technology Course: This course introduces students to the different systems and parts of trucks and cars. Students also learn about automotive tools, diagnostic equipment and auto shop safety procedures.
- Introduction to Engines Course: Students learn how car and truck engines work in this online course. Classes cover engine classification, as well as construction and disassembly methods. Students also learn how to recognize and fix common engine problems.
- Electrical Systems Course Students learn about the purpose and function of different electrical systems in cars and trucks. Electronic engine diagnosis and repair are also covered. Online students become familiar with diagnostic testing equipment for electrical systems.
- Breaks and Steering Systems Course: In this online course, students learn how to look for correct wheel alignments, as well as check a vehicle's traction and stability controls. Students also take an in-depth look at the steering and suspension systems of cars and light trucks.
- Diesel Engine Fundamentals Course: Students get an synopsis of diesel engine parts and functions as well as the tools used to repair those engines. The steps in a diesel engine 2-stroke cycle are covered.
- Truck HVAC Systems Course: In this course, students will examine a heavy truck's heating, ventilation and air conditioning system. Students will learn about proper function and maintenance of these systems.
- Drivelines and Transmissions Course: This course will analyze the clutch and manual transmission systems on heavy trucks. Topics include driveline components and necessary troubleshooting techniques.
Individuals interested in learning about repairing light trucks can enroll in online training programs for automotive service technicians. Programs may result in a certificate and can be completed in 18 months or less. Online diploma programs also exist. The online courses cover various areas needed to prepare for the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification exams. Courses are taught through illustrations, videos, animations and quizzes. Some programs require mechanic tools, which are either included with enrollment materials or available for purchase separately.
Home study truck repair courses are available online through certificate and diploma programs. Students will study course topics such as truck HVAC systems, manual transmissions and diesel engines.