School and Ranking Information
There are only a few schools in the Richmond area that have hospitality management programs. The following schools are considered the top three on account of program offerings, school type and location:
- Winner: Virginia State University in Petersburg secures the top spot due to its program's accreditation and numerous hospitality management student organizations. It is also the only school in the area to offer a bachelor's degree in hospitality.
- Runner Up #1: J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College comes in second place for its availability of online classes in the field and its location right in Richmond. It offers hospitality-related certificate and associate's degrees.
- Runner Up #2: Tidewater Community College, located in Norfolk, secures the third spot for its program level options, low tuition and for the number of program completions in the field of study.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Virginia State University||J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College||Tidewater Community College|
|Ranking (2013)||#33 among historically black colleges and universities*||N/A||N/A|
|Location||Petersburg, VA (23 miles from Richmond)||Richmond, VA||Norfolk, VA (77 miles from Richmond)|
|School Type||4-year, public||2-year, public||2-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$7,420 (in-state)
|Hospitality Management Program Levels Offered||Bachelor's degree||Certificate and associate's degree||Certificate and associate's degree|
|Hospitality Management Certificates and Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in 2011-2012||18**||12**||28**|
|Most Popular Hospitality Management Program (2011-2012)||Bachelor's in Hospitality Management (18 awarded)**||Certificate in Hospitality Management (6 awarded)
and Associate's in Hospitality Management (6 awarded)**
|Associate's in Hospitality Management (24 awarded)**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||42% (for 2006 entering class)**||13% (for 2009 entering class)**||14% (for 2009 entering class)**|
|Noteworthy||The only school in Virginia accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration (ACPHA)||Third largest college in the Virginia Community College System***||Leading provider of workforce and higher education in Hampton Roads****|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) College Navigator,*** J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College, ****Tidewater Community College.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Resort Management
- Resort, Hotel, Motel, and Spa Management
- Restaurant Mgmt
- Travel and Tourism Management
Winner: Virginia State University
- Virginia State University has multiple hospitality student organizations, including a chapter of Eta Sigma Delta, the hospitality honor society, and the Hospitality Management Student Association
- On-campus training options include a student-run café and a modern facility with hotel technology and food service equipment
- 96% of all undergraduate students received grant or scholarship aid in 2011-2012, according to NCES
The hospitality management program at Virginia State University is housed in the School of Agriculture. Students can complete a Bachelor of Science in Hospitality Management with a concentration in lodging operations management or restaurant and culinary management. Coursework in the degree program includes law and ethics, technology applications, purchasing, food preparation, management and food sanitation. The program also requires students to complete three internships for a total of 1,000 hours.
Runner-Up #1: J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College
- Offers hospitality courses at all three of its campuses and online
- Partnership with Education Institute of the American Hotel & Lodging Association (AHLA) allows students to earn association certificates by completing school programs
J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College's (JSRCC) Center for Culinary Arts, Tourism & Hospitality offers career certificates and associate's degrees. The partnership between JSRCC and AHLA allows students who complete certain certificates and degrees in hospitality management to also earn certificates or diplomas from the AHLA. For example, students who complete the 18-credit Career Studies Certificate in Hospitality Leadership also earn the Human Resources Management Certificate of Specialization from AHLA. JSRCC also offers an 18-credit Career Studies Certificate in Hotel Rooms Division Management and an Associate of Applied Science in Hospitality Management with concentrations in food service management, hospitality entrepreneurship and lodging operations. A hospitality management diploma from the AHLA is awarded to students who complete the AAS with a lodging operations concentration.
Core courses that apply to each of the specializations include principles of hospitality management, quality for the hospitality industry, hospitality law, applied accounting, hospitality marketing, catering management and human resources management for the hospitality industry.
Runner-Up #2: Tidewater Community College
- Tidewater Community College (TCC) ranks 2nd in undergraduate student population among community colleges in Virginia, according to NCES 2011 figures
- TCC is the 11th largest 2-year public community college in the United States
Tidewater Community College's Associates of Applied Science in Hospitality Management program requires the completion of 65 credits. Classes include accounting, lodging management, cost control, marketing, and purchasing. Students may choose to concentrate their studies in food service management and take classes in food and beverage management and food cost control. This school also offers 27-credit career studies certificates for food service management and lodging management trainees.