How to Become a Workers Comp Claims Examiner

Learn how to become a workers' comp claims examiner. Research the education requirements, training information and experience required for starting a career in workers' comp claims examining. View article »

View 10 Popular Schools »

An error occurred trying to load this video.

Try refreshing the page, or contact customer support.

94% college-bound high school students
…said it was important to communicate with colleges during the search process. (Source: Noel-Levitz 2012 trend study)

Select a school or program

View More Schools
Show Me Schools
  • 0:01 Workers' Comp Claims Examiner
  • 0:53 Earn an Undergraduate Degree
  • 1:23 Obtain Voluntary Certification
  • 2:02 Gain Work Experience
  • 2:31 Research State Licensure
  • 3:02 Continue Your Education

Find the perfect school

Video Transcript

Workers' Comp Claims Examiners

Workers' compensation claim examiners ensure that claims adjusters and claimants have followed proper protocols when submitting employees' compensation claims. Based on their findings, they decide whether an employee should be compensated and, if so, how much he or she should receive. Workers' compensation claims examiners typically work for health or life insurance companies. Weekend and evening work hours might be required.

Degree Level High school diploma or its equivalent; associate's or bachelor's degree is often preferred
Degree Field General education, writing, mathematics
Certification Some states require certification and optional certification is available
Key Skills Analytical, communication, interpersonal, and math skills
Salary $64,300 (Median annual salary for claims adjusters, examiners, and investigators as of May 2015)

Source: U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Earn an Undergraduate Degree

While there is no formal education requirement for becoming a workers' comp claims examiner, many employers look favorably upon applicants with an associate or bachelor's degree. General education requirements for most college degree programs, which include courses in writing, communication, mathematics, and critical thinking, can provide students with many of the skills needed to become a workers' compensation claims examiner.

Obtain Voluntary Certification

The Associate in Claims (AIC) is a designation recognized by many employers in the insurance field. Educational programs leading to the AIC are offered by various organizations, as well as some colleges and universities. Courses also are offered online through the American Institute for Chartered Property Casualty Underwriters. AIC programs consist of a series of courses covering policy and claims handling practices and principles. The AIC designation is awarded after the student passes an exam.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Health Care Administration
  • Health Information and Records Admin
  • Health Information Technology
  • Health Management and Clinical Administration
  • Health Unit Coordinator
  • Health Ward Supervisor
  • Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
  • Medical Claims Examiner
  • Medical Facilities Management
  • Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
  • Medical Insurance Services
  • Medical Office Computer Technologies
  • Medical Office Management
  • Medical Office Specialist
  • Medical Receptionist
  • Medical Staff Services
  • Medical Transcriptionist

Gain Work Experience

Companies hire people with a variety of work backgrounds for claims examiner positions. Experience in the legal field, such as paralegal or law enforcement work, can be helpful. Entry-level examiners usually start out working on small insurance claims under the supervision of a senior claims examiner. As they become more experienced, they are given more complex assignments.

Research State Licensure

Licensure requirements vary from state to state. For example, in Oregon, all workers' compensation claims examiners employed by businesses, insurers, and third-party administrators must pass a certification examination. In some states can substitute a voluntary professional designation for passage of a licensing exam; other states allow employees to work under a company license.

Continue Your Education

Adjusters and examiners need to keep up with new state and federal workers' compensation laws. Continuing education courses can be found through state websites and public and private schools. Some employers, such as insurance companies, also offer continuing education units with more and more courses being offered online.

In summary, an aspiring workers' comp claims examiner might benefit from an undergraduate degree program and voluntary certification. Licensure requirements for this profession vary by state.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

    • Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
    • Master of Science in Health Informatics

    What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education completed?

    • BS/Health Information Management
    • BA/Health and Human Services - Health Care Informatics Systems

    What is your highest level of education?

    • Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Concentration

    What is your highest level of education completed?

  • What is your highest level of education?

    • BA in Health Services Administration
    • Associate of Science - Medical Administrative Billing and Coding
    • AA in Health Services Administration

    What is your highest level of education?

  • What is your highest level of education?

    • Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
    • Master of Health Administration

    What is your highest level of education completed?

    • EdD in Organizational Leadership - Health Care Administration
    • MBA: Health Systems Management
    • MS in Health Care Administration
    • MS in Health Care Informatics
    • MS in Nursing: Health Care Informatics
    • Master of Public Administration - Health Care Management
    • BS in Health Care Administration
    • BS in Health Sciences: Professional Development & Advanced Patient Care
    • Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Science

    What is your highest level of education?

    • MBA in Healthcare Management
    • Master of Health Administration
    • Master of Science in Health Informatics
    • Executive Certificate in Health Administration
    • Health Informatics Certificate

    What is your highest level of education?

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?