Massage therapy programs can be taken at the diploma, certificate and associate degree levels. Programs that prepare individuals for proper licensure can be found at community colleges through their health services department or at some massage therapy colleges.
Ten Schools with Massage Therapy Programs
These schools offer accredited programs that will prepare students to become licensed massage therapists.
|University/College||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition and Fees 2015-2016*|
|Arizona Western College||Yuma, AZ||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$2,540 in-state, $9,530 out-of-state|
|Black Hawk College||Moline, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate||$4,050 in-district, $7,500 in-state, $7,650 out-of-state|
|Broward College||Fort Lauderdale, FL||2-year, primarily associate's, Public||Certificate||$2,753 in-state, $8,875 out-of-state|
|Essex County College||Newark, NJ||2-year, Public||Certificate||$4,213 in-district, $7,358 in-state, $7,358 out-of-state|
|Lake Land College||Mattoon, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,459 in-district, $7,282 in-state, $13,084 out-of-state|
|Miami Dade College||Miami, FL||4-year, primarily associate's, Public||Certificate||$2,834 in-state, $9,661 out-of-state|
|Olney Central College||Olney, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,146 in-district, $9,079 in-state, $11,070 out-of-state|
|Parkland College||Champaign, IL||2-year, Public||Certificate||$3,945 in-district, $9,555 in-state, $14,355 out-of-state|
|Sheridan College||Sheridan, WY||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$2,952 in-state, $6,936 out-of-state|
|Stark State College||North Canton, OH||2-year, Public||Certificate, Associate's||$3,686 in-state, $6,794 out-of-state|
Source: *National Center for Educational Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Asian Therapies - Massage and Bodywork
- Massage Therapy
- Somatic Bodywork
School or College Selection Criteria
Consider the following as you choose a massage therapy program:
- Since regulations vary among states, applicants to a massage therapy program are encouraged to make sure the school's curriculum adequately prepares them for state licensure.
- Students interested in specific massage specialties or modalities, such as Swedish massage, hydrotherapy, Chinese massage and sports massage, may wish to enroll in programs with courses and facilities that teach these disciplines.
- Clinical experience is valuable in preparation for professional practice. Students may find a variety of opportunities within a program to provide enhanced development of skills.
- Massage therapists with advanced training may offer increased value to those in need of massage services. Diploma or associate degree programs that offer transfer options give students the necessary training to start a career while advancing their education.
Diploma in Massage Therapy
Diploma programs in massage therapy may commonly be completed in less than one year. Graduates typically qualify for licensure and certification at local and state levels.
Certificate in Massage Therapy
Certificate programs in massage therapy may be completed in two or three semesters and often prepare graduates for licensure and practice. Typically, one or two modalities are taught.
Associate Degree in Massage Therapy
Associate degree programs in massage therapy may require general education requirements and could transfer into a bachelor's degree program. Massage techniques and modalities may be practiced in a clinical setting during an internship opportunity.
Massage therapy programs may include different specialties, which is one important consideration for prospective students. Other considerations may include program cost, program length and more.