School and Ranking Information
Students looking for programs in information and computer technology have available to them a pair of for-profit 4-year schools and a non-profit 4-year school within 20 miles of Lexington. The following school is considered the best in the area for its tuition rates, school type and rankings:
- Winner: Eastern Kentucky University is a regionally ranked 4-year public university about 20 miles away from Lexington that has programs in the IT discipline. This institution offers a bachelor's degree with an available computer technology concentration and an undergraduate degree in information systems.
School Info Chart
|Category||Eastern Kentucky University|
|Rankings||Tied at #62 for Universities in the South (2015)*|
|School Type||4-year, public|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||$7,536 (in-state), $16,608 (out-of-state)**|
|Information and Computer Technology Programs Offered||Bachelor's|
|Information and Computer Technology Degrees Awarded in 2012-13||16**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||39%**|
|Noteworthy||EKU features a chapter of the Association for Computing Machinery for students to join***|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***EKU website
Eastern Kentucky University
- EKU's programs in computer information systems are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- The computer science department has its own scholarship to offer
- Eastern Kentucky University's computer technology program is accredited by the Computer Science Accreditation Board
- The computer science programs allow for practical experience gained through co-op and internship opportunities
Eastern Kentucky University offers students associate's degrees through doctorates, with the vast majority of its students pursuing studies at the undergraduate level. EKU's ratio of students to instructors is lower than 20 to 1.
The Department of Computer Science, found within the College of Arts and Sciences, offers a Bachelor of Science in computer science with an available computer technology concentration. This program includes courses on network administration, architecture and digital electronics. The College of Business and Technology offers a Bachelor of Business Administration in computer information systems. This degree may be pursued with an emphasis on network management or with a more broad composition that includes courses on telecommunications, E-business developments and database administration.