Insurance Adjuster Schools: How to Choose

Dec 05, 2019

Students in insurance adjuster programs evaluate and ascribe a value to the amount of damage claimed by a policy holder. Most states require adjusters to have completed a training program and be licensed. Undergraduate certificate and degree programs are available in the field.

Insurance adjusters, also known as claims adjusters, are tasked with evaluating the amount of damage that has been claimed by a policy holder. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the minimum educational requirement for work in this field is a high school diploma, but postsecondary certificates or undergraduate degrees may be required for some jobs.

10 Schools with Insurance Programs

Check out the following schools when looking for insurance adjuster programs:

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Undergraduate Tuition (2018-2019)*
Florida State College at Jacksonville Jacksonville, FL 4-year, Public Certificate $2,878 in-state, $9,992 out-of-state
Madison Area Technical College Madison, WI 4-year, Public Certificate $136.50 per credit**
St. Petersburg College Clearwater, FL 4-year, Public Associate $2,682 in-state, $9,286 out-of-state
Northeast Community College Norfolk, NE 2-year, Public Certificate, Associate $3,480 in-state, $4,635 out-of-state
Franklin University Columbus, OH 4-year, Private not-for-profit Bachelor's $12,649
Valencia College Orlando, FL 4-year, Public Certificate $359**
Navarro College Corsicana, TX 2-year, Public Certificate $359**
Tarrant County College Fort Worth, TX 2-year, Public Certificate $325**
City Colleges of Chicago Chicago, IL 4-year, Public Associate $3,504 in-district, $8,126 in-state, $11,544 out-of-state
Broward College Fort Lauderdale, FL 4-year, Public Certificate $360**

Source: *National Center for Education Statistics, **School website

School Selection Criteria

To help you select the best program for your needs, consider the following. You'll want a program that can come as close to what you need as far as time constraints and following state regulations.

  • Since aspiring adjusters will need to pass a state licensure exam, they should consider whether a program provides exam preparation or even administers the licensure exam. This could potentially make obtaining licensure easier.
  • Students considering a bachelor's degree, but beginning with a certificate or associate's degree, should look for schools where any credits earned can be applied to a bachelor's.
  • Make sure you're prepared for time commitments. For students who work during the regular school day, many insurance adjuster programs are offered on the weekends, in the evenings or completely online.
  • Also consider the availability of continuing education courses. Most states require adjusters to complete several hours of continuing education classes every 1-2 years to prevent revocation of their licenses.

Insurance Adjuster Certificate

Insurance adjuster certificate programs are typically offered by a school's continuing education department. These programs usually take one year or less to complete. Classes typically cover principles of property and liability insurance, personal insurance basics, and introduction to underwriting. Upon completion, graduates are usually eligible to take the state's licensure exam.

Insurance Adjuster Associate's Degree

Insurance adjuster associate's degree programs are less common than are certificate programs. Typically, insurance adjusting coursework is a component of a business or management program. At some schools, students can declare a formal concentration in the field. Usually, students also must complete an internship with a local insurance agency. Coursework in these programs provides instruction in general education, as well as business law, insurance principles, and business communications.

Insurance Adjuster Bachelor's Degree

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that a bachelor's degree is required for some insurance adjuster positions. These programs allow students to pursue more in-depth studies in the field and gain familiarity with many different types of insurance, including property, casualty, health and life insurance. Students also choose electives in topics like fraud investigation and estate planning, depending on their academic interests. An internship in the field may also be available.

To prepare for a job as an insurance adjuster, it can be helpful to earn an undergraduate certificate or degree. Make sure you choose the program that best suits your personal career goals.

Next: View Schools

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?