School and Ranking Info
All five schools in Philadelphia, PA, that offer programs in interior design are located within a 10-mile radius; they include four private, not-for-profit colleges and universities and one for-profit art institute. The largest of the not-for-profit schools was ranked among the top 100 national universities in the country for 2015, as well as one of the top ten up-and-coming schools for the same year.
- Winner: Drexel University is a research-based institution that combines classroom learning with paid, cooperative educational experiences. Through its Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design, aspiring professionals can pursue an accredited Bachelor of Science (BS) in Interior Design; a Master of Science (MS) in Interior Architecture and Design is also available.
School Info Chart
|Rankings||#95 among National Universities;
#10 among Up-and-Coming Schools (2015)*
|School Type||4-year; private, not-for-profit|
|Tuition and Fees (2013-2014)||Undergraduate: $37,505**|
|Interior Design Degree Awards Offered||Bachelor's and master's|
|Interior Design Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||62 (31 bachelor's and 31 master's)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 entering class||70%**|
|Noteworthy||The university's undergraduate program in interior design and graduate program in interior architecture have been approved by the Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) and the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD)|
Sources: *U.S. New & World Report; **NCES College Navigator.
- Undergraduate interior design students complete a 6-month cooperative education experience
- Facilities include studios equipped with computers and design software
- Undergraduate and graduate design students can participate in 2-3-week tours in Europe
- Undergraduate and graduate design students can attend the Danish Institute of Study Abroad
Founded in 1891, Drexel University has an annual student enrollment of 26,132 and a student-faculty ratio of just 10:1. The university is composed of 15 colleges and schools, including the Antoinette Westphal College of Media Arts and Design. The college offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs in fashion, graphic, interior and product design, among other courses of study. In 2014, the MS in Interior Architecture and Design was ranked 7th in the nation by Design Intelligence.
The 189-credit BS in Interior Design includes key visual studies in architecture, art history and fine arts. Coursework for the major allows for studio work in commercial and residential design, furnishings, lighting and textiles; seniors complete an independent interior design project. The 63-credit MS in Interior Architecture and Design program consists of seminars, studio courses and visual studies; graduate students also write a thesis and take a comprehensive exam. Through required coursework, they also learn to follow building codes, environmental regulations and ethical professional practices while designing residential and commercial spaces that are aesthetically pleasing, comfortable and functional.