International Health Insurance Consultant: Job Description & Requirements

Learn about the education and preparation needed to become an international health insurance consultant. Get a quick view of the requirements as well as details about degree programs, job duties and licensure to find out if this is the career for you.

View popular schools

International health insurance consultants help Americans select appropriate health care policies for when they live or travel outside of the country. While a bachelor's degree may be preferred by some employers, the minimum educational requirement for entry-level positions is a high school diploma combined with some past sales experience.

Essential Information

International health insurance consultants sell insurance policies to Americans who are living or traveling abroad. These consultants typically work in office settings but may also travel to network and meet potential clients. Some employers require a bachelor's degree in insurance, business, finance or a related field, while others accept candidates with a high school diploma and past sales experience. These professionals generally need a state-issued insurance license.

Required Education High school diploma and previous sales experience or bachelor's degree in insurance, finance, business or related field
Other Requirements State-issued insurance license required
Projected Job Growth (2014-2024)* 9% (for insurance sales agents)
Median Salary (2015)* $48,200 (for insurance sales agents)

Source: *U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Community Health and Preventive Medicine
  • Environmental Health
  • Health Physics
  • Health Services Administration
  • International Health
  • Maternal and Child Health
  • Medical Scientist
  • Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene
  • Public Health Education
  • Public Health Medicine, Treatment

Requirements for an International Health Insurance Consultant

Educational Requirements

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), employers may hire high school students who have a proven track record in sales; however, preference is given to applicants with a college degree, especially in business, finance or a related field. Some colleges offer bachelor's degrees in risk management and insurance. Courses in these majors generally cover topics in financial planning and healthcare underwriting. The BLS notes that students may also take courses on sales techniques and public speaking to improve their communication skills.

Licensing Requirements

Insurance consultants must be licensed by their respective states to solicit healthcare coverage. Requirements for licensure vary but generally include completing state-approved coursework on state regulations, medical terminology and healthcare planning. Eligible candidates must then pass a state examination that tests them on these concepts.

Once licensed, consultants are typically required to renew their licenses periodically by completing continuing education. Continuing education serves to keep insurance consultants up-to-date with new healthcare laws and regulations. Classes may explore issues in consumer protection and ethics among other topics.

Career and Salary Information

The BLS reported that insurance sales agents were expected to see average job growth from 2014-2024, specifically a 9% increase. In May 2015, the median salary for insurance sales agents was $48,200, per the BLS.

While a high school diploma is the minimum education requirement for entry-level positions as an international health insurance consultant, candidates with a bachelor's degree in business or a finance-related field may have increased job opportunities. Those interested in this career will need to become licensed in the state where they intend to work and, in most states, will need to take continuing education courses to maintain licensure.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?