School and Ranking Information
Houston, TX, has a small number of schools where students can study journalism. Based on U.S. News & World Report rankings, tuition rates, and opportunities for journalism students, the top three institutions are:
- Winner: The University of Houston (UH) offers lower tuition rates and additional opportunities for journalism students, such as journalism student clubs. U.S. News & World Report ranked UH 184th among national universities in 2013.
- Runner Up #1: University of St. Thomas (UST) is ranked slightly higher among regional universities in the West than Runner Up #2.
- Runner Up #2: Houston Baptist University (HBU) is also ranked among regional universities in the West.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Houston||University of St. Thomas||Houston Baptist University|
|Rankings (2013)|| Ranked 184th among national universities*
Ranked 103rd among top public national universities*
|Ranked 34th among regional universities in the West*||Ranked 54th among regional universities in the West*|
|Location||Houston, TX||Houston, TX||Houston, TX|
|School Type||4-year, public||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Undergraduate Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$8,094 (in-state), $16,518 (out-of-state)**||$26,890**||$26,795**|
|Journalism Award Levels Offered||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's degree|
|Journalism Degrees Awarded (All Levels) in (2011-2012)||79**||1**||5**|
|Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2005 Entering Class||46%**||44%**||45%**|
|Noteworthy||School of Communication has both open-use and instructional technology labs, including a news-writing lab||Students can participate in the Innocence Project investigating potential wrongful imprisonment cases||Journalism students are required to complete two internships|
Sources: *U.S News & World Report, **NCES College Navigator.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
Winner: University of Houston
- Student chapters of the Society of Professional Journalists and the National Association of Black Journalists
- Many scholarships available to journalism students
- On-campus LeRoy & Lucile Melcher Center for Public Broadcasting hosts a television and radio station
Students at UH can choose a major or minor in communication with a concentration in journalism from the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication. Journalism students can focus on either print or broadcast journalism. Print and broadcast writing, reporting, and editing are some of the areas of study within the field. Students in the department can earn course credit for up to two semesters of internships.
Runner-Up #1: University of St. Thomas
- Internship required in order to complete the communication degree
- Incoming freshmen can earn six hours of college credit and be considered for a tuition grant through the Mendenhall Summer Institute
- Only Catholic university in Houston
UST offers a bachelor's degree in communication with a concentration in journalism/public relations. In this program, students complete the university's core curriculum, which includes courses in philosophy, theology, and general education topics. Journalism students then take courses in general communication topics, like mass media and speech. Concentration courses focus on the basic principles of reporting and public relations functions, including feature writing and editing. The bachelor's degree requires a total of 126 hours.
Runner-Up #2: Houston Baptist University
- Journalism experience available through the university's newspaper, yearbook, and online broadcasts
- Journalism and mass communication honors program offered
Bachelor's degrees in journalism and mass communications are offered through the School of Fine Arts at HBU. Students in the program concentrate in either journalism or broadcast production. The degree requires 38 hours of courses in the major. Courses focus on the basics of broadcasting, writing, and production. Students also study the history, ethics, and legal aspects of journalism. A minor in journalism is available as well. All undergraduate students must participate in the Community Life and Worship program in order to graduate.