Kansas City first got its name in 1889 and became one of the world's largest markets for cattle. Through the 20th century, the city grew in size and experienced rapid population growth. As of May 2017, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported an average hourly wage of $23.78 for all occupations in the Kansas City, MO-KS region. In March 2018, the unemployment rate was 3.6% with a civilian labor force of approximately 1.1 million workers.
According to the Kansas City Business Journal, these were the top-five fastest-growing companies in the Kansas City areas, as of 2018. These companies were ranked by their average annual revenue growth between 2013-2016.
- Aratana Therapeutics Inc.
- 4Corners Homes Kansas City
- IVXpress Inc. dba Infusion Express
- Storybook Realty, LLC
- Spring Venture Group
The Kansas Department of Labor reported that these would be the fastest-growing occupations between 2008-2018. These professions were forecasted to add 2,760 - 6,100 new employers during that decade.
- Customer Service Representatives
- Personal and Home Care Aides
- Registered Nurses
- Home Health Aides
- Elementary School Teachers, Except Special Education
- Nursing Aides, Orderlies, and Attendants
- Combined Food Preparation and Serving Workers, Including Fast Food
- General Office Clerks
- Truck Drivers, Heavy and Tractor-Trailer
- Teacher Assistants