Currently, only three universities across the United States offer accredited programs in kinesiotherapy. However, many more schools offer training in related topics such as kinesiology and exercise science.
Schools with Kinesiotherapy/Kinesiology Programs
At these schools, students can receive training in kinesiotherapy or kinesiology:
|College/University||Location||Institution Type||Degrees Offered||Tuition and Fees (In-state, undergraduate, 2015-2016)*|
|University of Southern Mississippi||Hattiesburg, MS||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$7,334|
|Shaw University||Raleigh, NC||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$16,580|
|Norfolk State University||Norfolk, VA||4-year, Public||Bachelor's||$8,366|
|Rice University||Houston, TX||4-year, Private||Bachelor's||$42,253|
|Ohio State University||Columbus, OH||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$10,037|
|George Washington University||Washington, DC||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$50,435|
|Syracuse University||Syracuse, NY||4-year, Private||Bachelor's, Master's||$43,318|
|The University of Texas at Austin||Austin, TX||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's||$9,806|
|Florida State University||Tallahassee, FL||4-year, Public||Bachelor's, Master's, Doctoral||$6,507|
Source: *National Center for Education Statistics
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Art Therapist
- Dance Therapist
- Music Therapist
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Rehabilitation Technologies
- Therapeutic Recreation
- Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
School Selection Criteria
Here are some things to consider when choosing a kinesiotherapy school:
- Ensure that a program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
- If you have a particular subfield of interest, such as dance, swimming, gymnastics or tennis, find out if any program offers a specialization in that area.
- Get more information about on-campus clinical training facilities like rehabilitation centers, gymnasiums or swimming pools, which can provide convenient access to patients and experience in kinesiotherapy methods.
Bachelor's Degree in Kinesiotherapy
Bachelor's degree programs prepare aspiring kinesiotherapists to assess patients and apply concepts in exercise, such as strengthening and conditioning along with treating injuries, diseases and disabilities. Programs include general education and prerequisites, such as evaluation and assessment. Students must complete approximately 1,000 hours of clinical experiences.
Over the course of a kinesiotherapy training program, students can learn about the science behind sports and exercise, and they can practice working with patients to heal injuries and improve overall health.