School and Ranking Information
There are about seven schools within 25 miles of San Bernardino that offer law enforcement-related degree programs. Many of these institutions are private, for-profit schools. Based on number of degrees awarded, student-to-faculty ratio and ranking, the following school is considered one of the top schools in the area for law enforcement degrees:
- Winner: California Baptist University is the only not-for-profit school in the San Bernardino area with law enforcement degree programs. Its programs, offered through the Department of History and Government, award bachelor's degrees in criminal justice and criminal justice leadership and administration.
School Info Chart
|Category||California Baptist University|
|Rankings||#38 among Best Regional Universities in the West (2014)*|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $28,122**|
|Law Enforcement Degrees Offered||Bachelor's|
|Law Enforcement Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||41**|
|Most Popular Law Enforcement Degree Level in 2012-2013||Bachelor's (41 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2007 Entering Class||58%**|
|Noteworthy||Accelerated online studies available; program melds Christian principles with criminal justice ethics|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report; **NCES College Navigator
California Baptist University
- Online and on-campus studies offered
- Many classes taught by current and retired law enforcement professionals
- Includes studies to prepare students for careers in the growing field of Homeland Security
- Accelerated studies through distance learning; degree earned in as little as 16 months
Located in Riverside, California, 15 miles from San Bernardino, California Baptist University has more than 90 undergraduate and 25 graduate degrees and enrolls more than 7,000 students. It is the only Southern Baptist school on the West Coast. In 2014, U.S. News and World Report ranked California Baptist University as the 38th-best regional university in the West, tying with one other university in California.
The College of Arts and Sciences at California Baptist University offers two bachelor's degree programs relating to law enforcement. Its Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice is for students looking to enter the fields of criminal justice and law enforcement, while its Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Leadership and Administration program is designed for students currently working as criminal justice professionals. The leadership and administration program is available in an accelerated format that allows some students to complete it in 18 months. These programs include courses in terrorism, crime and delinquency, hate crimes, and criminal report writing. Criminal justice students can also take advantage of the college's summer Overseas Study Tours.