Information About Free Audio Engineering Courses
Audio engineering deals with the recording, mixing and producing of music, as well as other forms of audio. Among the sites offering free online courses in audio engineering are colleges and universities, such as the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Utah State University. Both institutions offer free online courses in composing, recording and processing audio material. Students do not have to pay to utilize the course materials or lectures and no credits or credentials are awarded.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Multimedia and Digital Communication
Free Audio Engineering Courses and Classes
- Advanced Structural Dynamics and Acoustics explains how sound moves and how it is perceived. There are lecture notes in PDF (Portable Document Format) on a variety of topics, including the acoustic wave equation, spherical waves, cylindrical waves and spherical multipole radiation. There are also assignments and a quiz with solutions.
- Composing with Computers I (Electronic Music Composition) teaches students to learn how sound can be utilized when using the computer to compose electronic music. The course works with five modules that cover the following: musique concrète, content and form; continuity and feedback; layers and noise; interactions, synthesis, algorithm; and polishing, sampling, remixing. Each module has lab assignments and lecture transcripts. Additional assignments are also included, as well as links to audio samples.
- Music and Technology (Contemporary History and Aesthetics) surveys the use of technology in musical history from the nineteenth century to present time. Students learn about the history of radio and digital audio, modern recording studios, live electronics, turntables and MIDI through a series of lectures and videos. Additionally, the syllabus provides links to audio recordings available online. Special software is required to complete the course, but it is provided for free.
Utah State University
- Science of Sound is about acoustics and sound. There are eight modules included, and each module consists of multiple mini-lessons. Modules include musical acoustics, the human voice, electroacoustics and electronic music. A comprehensive glossary is also available.
Berklee College of Music in California
- How a Mix Engineer Enhances a Track: Music Production is a three minute and fifty second video lecture on music production that correlates with an online critical listening course offered through the Berklee College of Music in California. This is one of several videos provided by Dan Thompson, who is a writer and a recording and recording engineer. In the video. Dr. Thompson discusses how to listen critically to determine what sound combinations are needed to get the best musical sound.