Online Health Unit Coordinator Courses for Credit
Professional health unit coordinators, or those pursuing this field, can find free instruction online that can help to develop and improve the skills needed for this career. These courses don't typically award college credit however. Students seeking low-cost online learning options that can help them earn college credits may want to consider the courses on Study.com.
The course called Health 101: Principles of Health allows students to learn more about topics that are relevant to health unit coordinators. Students will find lessons in the format of videos and transcripts, and they can take lesson quizzes and chapter tests to reinforce their knowledge. Chapters in this course include the following:
- Healthy Platonic & Sexual Relationships - Study this chapter will learn more about sexual anatomy, pregnancy and sexuality as well as the causes of abortion and miscarriages.
- Environmental Health Basics - Learn about environmental toxicants, environmental health and disease-causing agents.
- Making Smart Health Care Choices - Comprehend information on the U.S. health care system, medical insurance regulations and physical exams.
Overview of Free Online Classes for Health Unit Coordinators
While not offering credit, the courses listed below can help students develop good communication skills and positive relationships with patients. Online classes also explore the responsibilities of health unit coordinators, public health issues and the economics of health care. Professionals looking to become certified health unit coordinators can also find information to help prepare them for taking the certification exam.
List of Free Online Classes for Health Unit Coordinators
Adult, Career and Technical Education School District of Manatee County, Florida
- Certified Health Unit Coordinator is a short educational brochure that provides information for individuals planning to take the Health Unit Coordinator Certification Exam. The brochure details what type of exam it is, what they can expect, where to get additional information on the content of the exam and where to register for the test.
The Open University
- Care Relationships guides health care staff in cultivating effective interactions with patients. Course materials offer health care worker and patient perspectives. An emphasis is placed on assisting patients and clients while allowing them to maintain independence.
- Caring in Hospitals explores the roles and responsibilities of caregivers and support staff in caring for patients in a hospital setting. Students get the perspectives of hospital staff, as well as the perspective of patients on care received, citing specific characteristics of positive and negative experiences.
- Diversity and Difference in Communication studies the importance of good interpersonal communication between health and social service providers and the public. Methods for applying good communication skills when working in diverse situations are a focus of this class. Through case studies and readings, students learn how to communicate with different types of individuals and in various kinds of settings.
University of California - Irvine
- Post-Conflict Reconstruction: Global Health Concerns and Issues is a video lesson that include topics on global health and the impact conflicts and national disasters have on the health care system. Students learn how serious injuries and diseases develop as a result of global conflicts. They also learn what methods are used to reconstruct good health care despite the many global health issues arising from these conflicts.
University of Michigan
- Patient Communication Skills uses video clips of scripted interactions between patients and health care professionals to illustrate effective and ineffective approaches to communicating with patients. Guidelines for students to use in evaluating their video observations and to incorporate into their own skill set are provided in downloadable text files. Lessons review recommendations for conversations with patients in person and on the phone, active listening skills and culturally appropriate communication styles.
Saint Paul College
- Health Unit Coordinator is a YouTube video offered by Saint Paul College. It is an informational video for individuals considering health unit coordinator as a profession. Information is offered on what a health unit coordinator is and what role he or she plays in a hospital or health care setting.
University of California - Berkeley
- Public Health is a series of videos on public health issues. The content of these videos covers a wide range of topics that include emergency readiness in public health and public health preparedness and emergency response.