Online Home Health Aide Courses for Credit
Free courses that are found online may not require registration or tuition, but students will not earn credit through these courses. Study.com offers this form of distance learning to students who are interested in saving costs on college and earning credit. After paying an inexpensive fee, students are offered access to informative videos and self-assessment quizzes.
The course titled Health 101: Principles of Health contains various topics on health. Some of the chapters that are found in this course include:
- Health and Wellness Fundamentals - Learn more about major health problems, lifestyle choices, locus of control and more.
- Personal Health for Aging Populations - Study more about the theories behind aging, human longevity, and health in late adulthood.
- Violence, Injury & Personal Safety - Review information about intentional injuries, residential safety and workplace safety.
Free Online Course Info
Students won't have to register, pay tuition or travel to complete these courses. However, learners don't earn grades or credits or interact personally with teachers and classmates. Also, the free materials available online may not represent all of the materials from the original, face-to-face courses.
University of California - Irvine
- Current Trends in Home Health Care for the Medicare Population reviews information about Medicare home health care benefits, trends in home health care expenditures and related topics, such as quality of care, risk factors screening and assessment. This presentation was part of a public health seminar in 2012.
- Experiences of Assessment has audio clips of assessment interviews and print transcripts that addresses the strategies of assessing care and support needs. Select professionals in the field also listen and comment on the interviews.
- Understanding Cardiovascular Diseases is aimed at the both the general public and health care professionals, this course addresses topics such as impairment of blood vessels' function, symptoms of cardiovascular disease and available treatments. Users will access materials in print and image formats and will test their knowledge through a quiz with answers readily revealed for immediate feedback.
American Red Cross
The Red Cross recommends that individuals certified in first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and the use of automated external defibrillators (AED) complete refresher courses at least every 3 months.
- First Aid, CPR and AED offers refresher training in first aid/CPR/AED for individuals, workplaces and schools, in addition to a refresher course in CPR/AED for health care providers and professional rescuers. Users review skills and test their own knowledge through text, images, quizzes and videos.
Johns Hopkins University
- Health Issues for Aging Populations gives students access to PowerPoint slides for 14 of the 15 lectures on topics such as demography of aging, clinical aspects of aging, functional capacity/disability, prevention of disease, informal care-giving and ethical issues. Users will access many of the readings through links provided.
University of Washington
- Learn CPR covers on topics such as CPR for various age groups, CPR for household pets, self-CPR and choking. Users also have access to CPR history, frequently asked questions, facts and links, in addition to a CPR quiz and Ask the Doctor questions/answers, with contact-by-email capability.
- Nutrition and Medicine lets students experience 15 lectures through outlines, text or slides. Topics include dietary assessment, dietary changes, eating patterns, exercise, hypertension, cardiovascular disease, obesity and diabetes. Users also have access to a variety of PDF supplementary materials.
University of Michigan
- Patient Communication Skills is part of the curriculum designed to teach dental students effective communication skills and points out that the techniques are also appropriate for a variety of health care providers. Students will access videos of staged positive/negative interactions and PDF text documents.