Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aeronautics, Aviation, and Aerospace Science
- Air Traffic Control
- Airline Flight Attendant
- Aviation Management and Operations
- Commercial Pilot and Flight Crew
- Flight Instructor
Free Online Course Info
The resources below utilize audio, video and text formats. In some cases, students may need to install specific (free) software in order to access the course content. While these classes may provide content similar to that offered to enrolled students, no college credit is awarded upon completing them.
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
To view classes on the National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning (NPTEL) site, where this class is hosted, students will need to have Adobe Flash Player. These courses from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay are displayed as video lectures that students may view online or download in a few different formats.
- Introduction to Aerospace Propulsion comprises 39 lectures that cover subjects such as entropy, relations of thermodynamic properties, propellers and the history of flight development. Several sessions are devoted to examining and working through assignment questions; students will see demonstrations of how to work through them, and the answers are provided.
Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
This material is viewable online (with the list of sections in constant view in the left sidebar) but is not available for download.
- Hypersonic Aerodynamics covers subjects like hypersonic relations governing equations, hypersonic inviscid flows and hypersonic vehicle design. Within these and other areas, more specific topics like boundary layer equations, equilibrium flows and vehicle cooling strategies are discussed.
Indian Institute of Technology Madras
Courses here display a list of the basic topics covered in a left sidebar; students may click on any topic to see the lectures contained within it. From there, viewers may further click on a particular lecture to see the video or notes that correspond to it.
- Flight Dynamics I - Airplane Performance is categorized into 12 learning modules, each of which contains notes from varying numbers of class lectures. These sets of notes must be downloaded as PDF files to be accessed. This class provides instruction on performance analysis, drag polar and engine characteristics, among other subjects.
- Flight Dynamics II (Stability) consists of video lectures that are accessible online and downloadable in a variety of formats. The course addresses such topics as longitudinal maneuverability, equilibrium, external input aircraft response and lateral directional control.
Class notes for each of the following MIT courses are supplied in PowerPoint format and must be downloaded and viewed as PDF files. Some of the classes provide downloadable readings or a reading list as well.
- Air Traffic Control teaches students about airport operations, international air traffic control and labor issues, among other areas. The course also supplies a list of readings, most of which are also downloadable in PDF format.
- Air Transportation Systems Architecting includes notes from some class sessions (files are not provided for a number of the lectures), as well as downloadable examples of students' final projects. Session notes are available on such subjects as technical aspects of autonomous formation flying configurations, global range airpower systems and avionics safety.
- Airline Schedule Planning provides lecture notes from most of the class sessions and addresses topics like fleeting models, network flows and schedule design. A reading list with a few links to sources available online is also supplied.
- Feedback Control Systems instructs in areas including state-space models, controllability and nonlinear systems.
These audio lectures, each about an hour long, may be accessed online but are not available for download. Students will need to have Microsoft Silverlight (which may be downloaded for free) installed in order to play them.
- Fundamentals of Compressible Flow contains information about control volumes, the generation and transport of entropy, steady and unsteady waves and high-speed flight. The video screen displays informational slides that correspond with the content of the audio file. The lecture includes referrals to websites with photographs, videos and other materials that relate to compressible flow - including the narrating professor's own website, which contains full lecture notes for this class.
- Leadership Competencies for Air Transport Professionals is a lecture on YouTube addressing topics within the areas of innovation, execution and strategy that relate to the success and longevity of the air transport industry.