Free Online Course Info
Credits aren't granted for the completion of these lessons. Certain hardware and software applications may be necessary in order to use select learning materials.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Advertising and Commercial Design
- Commercial Photography
- Fashion Design
- General Visual Communications Design
- Graphic Design
- Illustration and Drawing
- Industrial Design
- Interior Design and Decorating
Free Online Cartooning Lessons List
- Cartoon Drawing Lessons and Tutorials allows students to choose from a variety of cartoon topics that are rated from easy to hard. The free lessons are divided into steps and have accompanying drawings with detailed text. Although the link for free cartoon drawing software is no longer active, other possibilities are provided through the 'free drawing software' link.
Sara Jordan Publishing
- Cartooning has 6 printable cartooning lessons on various topics. Each online lesson is divided into steps and has detailed text, along with picture directions. Completed work may be sent to the website for possible posting.
- Cartooning is a free 15-episode video series of cartoon lessons that shows budding cartoonists how to draw faces of cartoon characters, add form and shape to characters, construct a comic strip and create optical illusions. The roughly 2-minute videos are lead by a professional cartoonist who illustrates the episodes' topic using paper and pen or pencil. Links are provided for additional related cartooning and general drawing videos. A video player is needed to view the lessons.
- Cartoon Lessons give learners a choice to a cartoon character from a pictorial list. Directions for drawing each cartoon are depicted sequentially, using brief text and pictures.
Newspapers in Education
- Cartoons for the Classroom is a free learning option where there are over 300 lessons available for download based on real news items and appropriate for middle grades and up. Topical lessons may be accessed pictorially or sorted by headline. Teachers and students have access to cartooning resources, history through cartoons, cartoonist videos, a cartoon worksheet for custom lessons and a cartoon evaluation worksheet.
- Create Your Own Comic Strip by using a comic template divided into 2-4 panels and online selection tools, users design their comic strips by adding characters, objects, scenes, talk/thought balloons, panel prompts and background colors. Options for printing or emailing finished work are available.
- Create Your WeeMee allows users to create cartoon images of themselves or others by using the online tools and artwork to choose gender, head shape, skin color and eye color. The 'Get Dressed Now' button adds a wide variety of additional options, such as hair, clothing, objects, pets and foods. WeeMee creations may be saved. The large, red 'Sign Up' button on opening page has to be clicked for users to begin designing their creations, but no registration is necessary.
Drawing: How to Draw
- Drawing Lessons and Tutorials lets learners choose from a directory of cartoon characters to practice cartooning using the website's online drawing toolbox that opens in the window. In addition, detailed lessons are available for topics such as art principles, mediums, drawing improvement, perspective, shading, transfer/copy art, holidays, landscapes, anime and objects.
- Learn How to Draw presents pictorial directions in 10 steps for drawing a new cartoon character each month, in addition to posting art lessons from previous years. Users also have access to free original graphics and a short video showing the author presenting an art lesson at an elementary school.