Computerized Bookkeeping Courses Online for Credit
Computerized bookkeeping involves a combination of accounting, mathematics and office practices. To help students learn this form of bookkeeping, several schools and businesses offer free online courses focused on the basics of financial accounting, spreadsheets, QuickBooks and more. Most free online courses are highly beneficial and informative, but do not lead to college credit. Study.com can provide a comprehensive learning experience while helping students earn credits at a relatively low cost. Courses this platform offers teach students through engaging video lessons, self-assessment quizzes, practice tests and full transcripts.
Students can study accounting topics like how to analyze equity, prepare financial statements and complete the operating cycle by taking this Accounting 101: Financial Accounting course. Included are the following chapters:
- Receivables in Accounting - Study the process of accounts receivable, principles of revenue recognition and purpose of receivables management.
- Mechanics of the Accounting Cycle - Learn about the accounting equation, ledgers, debits, credits and financial statement ratios.
- Reporting & Analyzing Equity in Accounting - Examine stockholder equity components, items reported in retained earnings and how to raise equity financing.
To learn where to find bookkeeping jobs and examine salaries, job outlooks and general career information for bookkeeping, students can also explore the Bookkeeping Guide. Chapters in this guide include the following:
- Program Info for Bookkeeping - Find out about diploma, certificate and degree programs for health records administration, accounting, bookkeeping and the health records technician.
- Bookkeeping Online Degrees - Discover online courses and programs focused on bookkeeping, financial accounting and OSHA compliance training.
- Popular Schools for Bookkeeping - Explore the top schools for accounting, bookkeeping and managerial accounting.
Free Computerized Bookkeeping Courses Online
Free online courses in computerized bookkeeping are offered by schools including Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Brigham Young University - Hawaii. Software companies like Intuit and Microsoft also offer free online training that provides learners with bookkeeping and accounting knowledge and skills. Online videos may also prove helpful to individuals interested in becoming proficient in bookkeeping.
Brigham Young University - Hawaii
Students interested in learning about accounting, entrepreneurship, business management, political science and other subjects can benefit from the Brigham Young University - Hawaii YouTube channel. Numerous video lectures are available on this channel, including the following Excel bookkeeping and accounting video.
- Simple Excel Bookkeeping, Accounting Debits and Credits is a training video offering pertinent information needed to work with Excel. Students learn bookkeeping and accounting practices, such as entering and editing credits and debits. The impact that debits and credits have on a financial statement is also covered. To get the most from this video, it is suggested that students download and work along with the accompanying Excel workbook.
Bean Counter provides free online bookkeeping and accounting training. While the training options, which include lectures, guides, courses, tutorials and quizzes, are geared toward accounting in the United States, anyone around the world can benefit from these resources.
- So, You Want to Learn Bookkeeping! is an introductory bookkeeping course that teaches students bookkeeping terminology and discusses debits, credits, property rights and the accounting equation. Lessons also explore how to analyze and record business transactions, create financial statements and use journals. Learning materials in this course include written lessons, videos and skills tests. The course is presented in 2 parts, and it is estimated to take a total of 8 hours to complete.
- Free Accounting Basics Textbook/Tutorial is a PDF document that provides an overview of accounting concepts like double-entry accounting, ledgers, journals, accrual accounting and the chart of accounts. This document also goes over different types of businesses and how they are structured and lists sources from which business owners can receive professional advice. In addition to written information, this textbook teaches through tables and other visual examples. The last 35 pages of the document consist of accounting terms and definitions.
Microsoft's Office 365 Training Center provides templates, video training and helpful tips to get students up to speed with programs like Word, OneNote, Access and Visio. Below are training courses designed for individuals interested in learning how to use Excel. These courses are free to access and require no registration to get started.
- Excel Quick Start features six short lessons detailing how to begin the process of using Excel. Students learn how to create a workbook and save it to OneDrive. Lessons in this course also teach skills like analyzing, formatting, collaborating and setting up mobile apps. Videos, written instruction and screenshot examples are among the learning materials found in the lessons.
- Excel Charts is a short course designed for users of Excel for Office 365, Excel for Office 365 for Mac, Excel 2019 and other versions. By exploring seven short lessons, students can learn how to create charts, add and remove titles, work with chart legends and data tables and analyze and update data. These lessons consist of short videos, written instructions and visual aids and can benefit users with Windows and macOS operating systems.
- Excel Tables teaches students the basics of creating and formatting tables as well as sorting data within a table. Lessons also discuss ways to total data and use slicers to filter data. Each lesson features a short video and offers written directions to help complete tasks.
- Excel Formulas & Functions provides a comprehensive overview of the steps involved in creating formulas and utilizing functions when making calculations in Excel. Students can learn terms like VLOOKUP, IFS, SUMIF and SUMIFS and discover the SUM, COUNTIF and IF functions. The lessons also teach how to number rows automatically, use names in formulas and determine the difference between two dates.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MIT's OpenCourseWare (OCW) platform gives students the opportunity to learn subjects ranging from history to political science without registering for courses or paying tuition. The courses are free to access anytime and typically provide learning materials like downloadable PDF lecture notes, assignments and exams.
- Financial Accounting explores topics in bookkeeping and helps students understand financial and accounting principles. Topics covered in this graduate-level course include accrual accounting, financial ratios, inventory, revenue recognition and long-term debt. The curriculum includes lecture notes students can download and study. To follow along, students are encouraged to acquire the textbook Financial Accounting in an Economic Context, 5th edition.
FreeBookkeepingAccounting.com is an online learning platform that teaches bookkeeping, accounting and accounting software courses, free of charge. The courses consist of video lessons available on YouTube. In addition to the following courses, students can learn about credit control, business planning and management accounts. Registration is not required to access these courses.
- Free Bookkeeping Course teaches students the definitions of capital, assets, liability and other key financial terms. Lessons also look at debits, credits and control accounts in double-entry bookkeeping and reports like profit and loss statements and balance sheets. The course offers a total of 11 videos ranging from 1-10 minutes each.
- Free Accounting Basics Course examines basic accounting concepts and teaches the definitions of specific accounting terms. Students also learn about financial statements and the essentials of a limited company. The four video lessons available in this course average 5-10 minutes each.
- Free Software Training is available for students interested in learning Excel, Sage, QuickBooks and Xero software. Students can learn how to create bookkeeping worksheets and purchase invoices, keep accounts and bank reconciliations and much more. An individual course with multiple video lessons is accessible for each software title.