Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Fire Fighting
- Fire Services Admin
Free Online Fire Fighting Courses
The courses below are accessible online to anyone looking to learn more about fire fighting and/or begin training in the field. While these courses provide quality learning tools for those seeking to avoid the trouble of registration or tuition, they do not provide academic credit.
Nation Wildfire Coordinating Group
- Basic Wildland Fire Orientation includes a 15-minute video that serves as an introduction to wildland fire. The video covers personal preparedness, mobilization, incident procedures, proper clothing and living conditions of wildland fire camps. While the video is free and accessible to all users, individuals who would like to receive credit or certification from the NWCG must find a course administrator who can be reachable by phone, e-mail or in person while taking course.
USDA Forest Service Technology and Development Program
- Firefighter Math teaches firefighters the math calculations that they may need to do in the field, such as calculating flame height, tank volume or pump pressure. The 9-section course can be completed at the students own pace and includes practice questions, examples and conversion tables. This course does not award any credits.
Johns Hopkins University
- Improving Understanding and Collaboration among First Responders is a non-credit course that seeks to help students understand the relationship between fire fighters, EMS, law enforcement, public health and private security. PowerPoint presentation slides are used as lecture materials. Students learn about the culture of each group of first responders and explore how they respond to a crisis.
- Intermediate Wildland Fire Behavior is an advanced course that explores ways of predicting how a wildfire will act. Individuals who plan on becoming Single Resource Bosses or Fire Effect Monitors may find the course to be especially useful. Students have access to maps, takeaways and other online resources while learning about long-range spotting, fire whirls and crowning.
Utah State University
- Wildland Fire Management and Planning explores how the environment plays a part in how a fire is observed. Students also learn about mathematical fire models and have access to a field guide while studying fuel moisture, fire behavior and wind. Vocabulary lessons are also included in this course.
- Introduction to ICS is a free online course about the setting up an Incident Command Center and its staff tasks and responsibilities. Upon finishing the final exam, students can earn a certificate of completion if they have a course administrator.