Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Aquatic Biology
- Conservation Biology
- Environmental Biology
- Evolutionary Biology
- Marine Biology
- Population Biology
- Systematic Biology
Online Epidemiology Course Information and Requirements
Most free online epidemiology courses are OpenCourseWare (OCW) classes, which means they were offered on campus but are now available online for free. In some cases, not all materials from the original class are available to OCW learners. All OCW courses are designed for independent learning and don't result in credit or grades. These courses contain lectures that can be viewed directly online or downloaded to a media player. Additional OCW materials frequently include assignments, exams, study materials and links to relevant resources.
Johns Hopkins University
The Bloomberg School of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University offers several different epidemiology courses that are free of charge. All of these free courses include downloadable lectures, reading lists and assignments that you can complete to test your knowledge and understanding of the lecture material.
- Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases breaks down fundamental methods of infectious disease epidemiology while examining key case studies of disease symptoms.
- Fundamentals of Epidemiology I and II look at core concepts of epidemiology and biostatistics, with the specific focus of how they apply to public health problems.
- Psychiatric Epidemiology fleshes out descriptive and analytic epidemiology as it applies to mental disorders throughout the lifespan.
- Reproductive and Perinatal Epidemiology centers on modern research, issues, and problems in approach when it comes to the epidemiology of reproductive health.
Free epidemiology courses are also offered through Tufts University's OCW system. Tufts classes include downloadable PDF files of lectures, as well as original syllabi and recommended reading lists.
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics uses medical journal entries and medical literature to teach the fundamentals of epidemiology. The course lectures cover topics like randomized control trials, cohort studies and hypothesis testing.
- Oral Public Health and Community Service Program takes a look at the impact of society and cultural health views on the status of oral public health.
University of California - Irvine
The University of California - Irvine boasts a comprehensive OCW program that includes two epidemiology courses. Both of these courses are presented in streaming video lectures that students can watch on the course homepage.
- Interaction Between Infections and Diabetes traces the relationship between population numbers and an increase in chronic diseases. The course discusses microbes and the role of infections in chronic illnesses.
- Molecular Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases is centered on studies and findings involving the flu, HIV and Hepatitis C. The course provides in-depth analysis of the epidemiological patterns of these illnesses.
University of Michigan
- Patients and Populations: Medical Decision-Making is a course offered by the University of Michigan's OCW system. This medical school course is designed to help students form clinical questions and professionally assess patients after reviewing case scenarios. This class also covers how doctors make medical decisions based on the information available to them, such as genetics and medical resources. The course homepage includes a downloadable syllabus, PDF and PowerPoint lecture notes, handouts and course materials.