Online Finance Courses for Credit
If you're not worried about attaining credit, you can find free courses in finance online that don't require registration and don't offer credit. But if college credit is something you're looking for, you can consider the comparatively low-cost options found at Study.com, where engaging material taught by professional instructors can lead to credit for school. The courses include both video and text lessons, with practice quizzes helping you confirm your understanding along the way.
Students can take Finance 101: Principles of Finance which provides introductions to core subjects in finance and the processes involved with them. Sample chapters from this course include:
- Financial Statement Basics - Topics include control of cash, preparing financial statements, liquidity ratio, and more.
- Stock Valuation - Examine types of growth, the New York stock exchange, dealers and brokers, and the definition of stock.
- Cost of Capital - Get info on required return, financial policy, the dividend growth model, and related topics.
Free Online Finance Course Information
Graduate-level finance courses are available for free and can teach students about the laws, ethics, implications and theories of the finance field. There are also free introductory courses for students who want to improve their financial independence and learn ways to meet financial goals. The majority of these classes are not offered for college credit. However, all of the classes are designed so that students can work independently by accessing course lectures, handouts and examinations online.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Banking Related Services
- Credit Management
- Financial Mgmt Services
- Financial Planning Services
- International Finance
- Investments and Securities
- Public Finance Mgmt
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Behavioral Economics and Finance explores concepts that include mental accounting, altruism and the thinking process. The online graduate course gives students access to lecture notes and problem sets that cover the psychological role in economics and finance.
- Finance Theory II helps students understand how financial theory can be applied to daily business decisions. Lectures and assignments can be downloaded and cover valuation and financing.
- Financial Management shows students how finance plays a role in business decisions. Lecture notes cover risk and return, market efficiency and financing policy.
- Real Estate Finance and Investment is another graduate class that covers property finance, project evaluation, capital structure, land value and finance decisions. Students have the option to download case studies to get a sense of actual real estate finance situations.
- Analytics of Finance features lectures that cover pricing models, simulation methods and standard errors. While some of the notes are in PDF form, others require students to download MATLAB software. Students can download six problem sets and examinations.
- The Law of Corporate Finance and Financial Markets is a graduate course that provides students with an overview of business law. There are five modules covering such items as the laws and ethics of raising and investing money, competition, mobility and insolvency. Lecture notes in PDF form are available for several of these topics.
The Open University
- Equity Finance is a master's-level course that covers the concepts of finance in relation to markets and investments. The course has eight sections that teach students about private equity, venture capital, equity performance and cross listing.
Utah State University
- Family Finance teaches students ways to build financial independence and establish family financial goals. Students will learn about taxes, budgeting and home ownership. Course resources include some lecture notes and online links to agencies that can provide students with money management support.