Online MBA Courses for Credit
A variety of free online business courses are available that explore topics often covered during a Master of Business Administration (MBA) program. These courses can effectively provide students with the skills they need to start earning a graduate degree. While these courses provide many perks, they unfortunately don't award college credit.
Study.com's online courses, on the other hand, can be used by prospective MBA students who want to earn undergraduate credit for a fraction of the cost of enrolling in traditional prerequisite or introductory business classes. For a nominal fee, registered members can view short video lessons taught by experts in the business field to build a quality understanding of finance, strategy, accounting and other business-related subjects. Self-assessment quizzes can help them determine which topics require additional study. Each course also includes free lesson transcripts. Some of the available business courses are listed below:
- Business 101: Principles of Management - Management and leadership theories, organizational change, communication strategies and managerial decision making are among the topics covered in this course.
- Business 102: Principles of Marketing - This course addresses product retailing, public relations and pricing strategies as well as influences on consumers' decision making, among other topics.
- Business 106: Human Resource Management - In addition to employment law and current human resource management trends, instructors discuss staffing, employee compensation, performance appraisals and labor relations.
- Business 107: Organizational Behavior - Course chapters address factors influencing an organization's structure, culture and work environment. Methods for resolving conflict and motivating employees are covered as well.
- Business 111: Principles of Supervision - The roles and responsibilities of supervisors are discussed alongside the organizational and leadership skills that make for a successful manager.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Business Economics
- Business Finance
- Business Management and Operations
- Business Marketing
- Business Support and Administrative Services
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development
- Hospitality Management
- Human Resource Management
- Information System Management
- International Business
- Sales and Merchandising
- Specialized Sales
Free Online MBA Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT's Sloan School of Management offers multiple free business courses online through its OpenCourseWare project. Topics covered in the business courses include business ethics, globalization, information technology and real estate. The following business courses offer learning materials like downloadable lecture notes and assignments created by MIT instructors. Registration is not required to access these materials.
- Economic Analysis for Business Decisions is a graduate-level class that teaches students about the economic decisions companies must make. Topics explored in this course include individual market behavior and determinants of market power and demand. Through lecture notes, exams and assignments, students learn about these and many other related concepts. To get the most out of this course, it is recommended that students acquire the textbook Microeconomics by Pindyck and Rubinfield.
- Managerial Psychology focuses on behavioral science theories and explores the best ways to apply them on the job. The course helps students develop leadership qualities, organize groups and motivate employees. Users have access to lecture notes as well as a case study, paper topics and a quiz. Readings for the course are taken from Managing Behavior in Organizations and Influence: Science and Practice.
- Marketing Management is a graduate course that explores advertising and marketing strategies by looking at a variety of case studies. Other topics explored in this course include competitive and customer analysis, products and pricing, branding and distribution. Downloadable lecture notes and assignments are accessible along with a project that focuses on implementing strategies for marketing. Readings used in this course include the textbooks Marketing Management and Market-Based Management - Strategies for Growing Customer Value and Profitability.
The Open University's OpenLearn offers a variety of videos, podcasts, games and other learning materials to provide students with the opportunity to get educated free of charge. Individuals can learn languages like Chinese and Spanish, math subjects like Babylonian mathematics and Bayesian statistics and business subjects like equity finance. The following business courses offer engaging written lessons, activities and more to help students gain insight into MBA-related concepts. Registration is not required to access most materials, but the perks of doing so include course progress tracking and access to quizzes.
- Communication, Management and Your Own Context explores the type of business communication and skills necessary to start an MBA program. Concepts covered in this advanced course include the importance of language and communication in management, ways to build a management network and how workplace contexts are created. The class features eight hours of learning materials broken up into ten modules that contain lectures and activities.
- Entrepreneurial Behavior is an advanced course offering about 20 hours of learning materials that explore the traits and habits needed for innovative entrepreneurship. Among topics examined in this course are the functions off entrepreneurship and different styles of entrepreneurial leadership and management. The lessons for this course come with a variety of activities.
- Strategic View of Performance examines how strategic thinking is needed when looking at a company's potential market and resources. Students can learn all about the value chain, emergent strategy, the differences between a markets approach and a research-based approach and more. This advanced-level course contains approximately four hours' worth of study materials. The lessons also come with a variety of visual aids.
Modern States Education Alliance provides a college-level education at no cost to anyone interested in accessing quality learning materials online. Among the courses Modern States offers are American government, chemistry, college mathematics, information systems and precalculus. Students can access lecture notes, exams, quizzes and even textbooks for most courses free of charge after creating an account with a username and password.
- Introductory Business Law is a course providing about 24 hours of learning materials focused on American legal history. Students also learn the basics of legal systems, employment, contract functions and sales. This course has no prerequisites. Students who plan to take the CLEP Introductory Business Law exam can prepare with help from this course.
University of Michigan
The University of Michigan makes it possible for anyone interested in learning subjects like dentistry, mathematics, global health, engineering and statistics to access free learning materials online. These materials can include written lectures, videos and student work. The following free online course, offered by the University of Michigan via the edX platform, requires students to sign up via a social media account like Facebook or provide a valid email address along with a full name and country of residence.
- Introduction to Data Analytics for Managers is a free introductory course focused on the concept of big data and how companies can leverage it. Various techniques for analyzing data are explored. Upon completion, students will understand the use of scatter plots, SQL queries and hypothesis tests. Learning materials used to teach this course include lectures and business case studies. While this course is archived and no longer active, it is available to review at no cost.