Free Online Management Training Courses for Credit
A wide selection of free online business management courses can be found on the world wide web where students can learn business management. Some of these courses do not require any formal registration while others only have very basic registration requirements.
Most free online courses don't offer college credit, so students who want to earn credit may be more interested in online courses that charge a small fee.
Free Online Business Management Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) publishes much of its course content through MIT OpenCourseWare including content from courses covering certain aspects of management:
- Management Communication for Undergraduates - this course focuses on communication in the workplace. Using lecture notes, presentations and assignments, students learn how to understand different types of audience and develop their writing and speaking skills.
- Managerial Psychology - the material here introduces behavioral science theories related to motivation, negotiation, organizational change and presentation skills. Lecture notes, assignments and quizzes help students understand how these theories are applicable in a workplace setting.
- Strategic HR Management - Students taking this course are provided with readings, case write-ups, assignment questions and an exam to facilitate their learning on how to develop and implement human resource management strategies. The key topics featured relate to human asset management and management policy implementation and how to execute these in a way that results in a competitive advantage.
The Open University
The Open University, an institution based in the UK, offers online management courses free of charge and there's no requirement to buy textbooks. No formal enrollment is required, although signing up for a free account does allow students to keep up-to-date on their progress and download course documents. Upon completion, students can get a free statement of participation. The management-related courses are as follows:
- Understanding Management - This is an introductory course that primarily helps students develop their method and style of management, manage their time more effectively and improve their interpersonal skills in the workplace. In addition, time is allocated to covering the process of management decision-making and problem-solving. Five hours of study documents are included for this course.
- Discovering Management - This is an advanced course which covers topics such as operations management, project management, and finance. Fifteen hours of learning materials are provided.
- Understanding Operations Management - This is an advanced course which aims to help students better understand manufacturing demand, dealing with customers and general operation and administrative processes. Four hours of study materials are associated with this course.
University of Michigan
Open Michigan is a free online learning resource provided by the University of Michigan. The educational materials provided by this resource can be accessed without registration and include videos and lectures. One course provided relates to management training (below):
- Policy and Management in the Nonprofit Sector - this course covers management issues in the context of the nonprofit sector including policy-making and the future role of nonprofit organizations in relation to civil society and for-profit organizations. The course is advertised as being of a graduate-level standard.
University of Adelaide
The University of Adelaide administers its own Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) through which it offers numerous courses on an array of subjects. One such course covers topics highly related to management training:
- Introduction to Project Management - this course introduces students to the core knowledge and applied skills needed for effective project management. These skills include scoping, scheduling, costing and communication. While the course is self-paced, the University suggests students put in 2-3 hours per week for 6 weeks. Upon successful course completion, students who want a verified certificate will need to pay $50 USD.
Australian National University
The Australian National University operates its own MOOCs which are primarily self-paced and can provide a verified certificate in exchange for a small fee. The following management training course is provided through this learning portal:
- Evidence-Based Project Management - This is an intermediate-level course that seeks to develop the critical thinking and organizational capabilities of students. Topics covered include monitoring and controlling project resources, identifying project benefits and developing processes to create project outputs. The effort required to complete this course in 6 weeks is 8-10 hours per week. While the course is no longer active, the study materials have been archived and can be accessed free of charge.