Online Pathology Courses for Credit
There are a number of free online pathology courses available. However, students usually don't receive credit from the colleges or universities offering them. Students who'd like to use what they learn in an online class to earn real college credit might want to consider one of the hundreds of affordable, self-paced courses offered by Study.com. For less than the cost of enrolling in a traditional class, registered members can watch short, entertaining video lessons taught by experienced instructors and use the corresponding self-assessment quizzes to affirm their understanding of the lesson content.
The Biology 106: Pathophysiology is just one of the courses offered. It includes the following chapters:
- Pathophysiology Components - Study cell structure and the processes regulating cellular adaptation. Identify diseases that can damage to cell function and tissue structure.
- Skin Disorders - Learn the structure and function of skin as well as the effects of skin allergies and inflammatory disorders.
- Pathologies of the Respiratory System - Examine the anatomy of the lungs and learn which diseases affect their function and lead to respiratory failure.
- Musculoskeletal System Disorders and Diseases - Review the functions of bone tissue, muscle and joint structure. Identify symptoms of such conditions as Paget's disease, arthritis and osteoporosis.
- Clinical Test Results and Associated Conditions - Get an overview of the tests used to measure electrolyte levels in blood and urine, along with the indications of test results.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Cardiovascular Science
- Cell Physiology
- Exercise Physiology
- Molecular Physiology
- Neurobiology and Neurophysiology
- Reproductive Biology
- Vision Science
Free Non-Credited Pathology Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
The OpenCourseWare system at MIT doesn't require registration and teaches online students through a combination of lecture notes and optional assignments and exams. The lab exercises and case studies were for on-campus students.
- Principle and Practice of Human Pathology is a graduate course about the basics of human pathology with a focus on diagnostic medicine and disease mechanisms. Lecture topics include the immune system, tissue engineering, vascular pathobiology and lymphoid neoplasms. The course also includes a selection of recommended websites.
The Open University
The Open University offers a range of science classes that can assist students in learning about pathology. The courses include text-based lectures, illustrations and study questions (with answers).
- Introduction to Histopathology looks at why microscopic examinations are important in analyzing tissues damaged by disease. Within the four lessons, topics may include microscopic slides, cell death and cell division.
- Predictive Medicine is an introductory course where students learn how scientific advances can shape the way we treat and identify diseases. Users will learn about genetic knowledge, gene chips and population screening.
- Understanding Cardiovascular Diseases is an intermediate course that examines cardiovascular disease and how to manage it. Users learn about interpreting data for disease occurrence and risk factors attributed to cardiovascular disease.
Tufts' OpenCourseWare lessons are free and don't require students to register.
- Basic Human Pathology introduces students to systematic and general pathology. It's intended to be a transitional course from basic science to the clinical sciences associated with dentistry. There's a definitions list, recommended readings list and the 25 lectures are presented as slides.
- Histology explores the structure of cells, organs and tissues. Lecture topics include nervous tissue, glands, blood and the respiratory system. Online 6 of the lectures are available for download.
- Nutrition and Medicine teaches about basic nutrition fundamentals that are important to pathology and pharmacology. Students will learn how to judge a patient's nutritional status and help patients make better nutritional choices. The course includes supplemental readings, slides, lecture notes and additional material, such as a nutritional assessment guide.