Online Course Information
Learners should note that free online materials do not award university credit or grades to students who complete them. Regulation of phlebotomists varies by state, but credentialing usually requires completion of a formal training program and an exam. While the free learning materials outlined below may overlap with information found in formal training courses, they don't prepare learners to work as phlebotomists.
Online phlebotomy courses and materials can include quizzes, outlines, lecture notes and videos. Multimedia players and document readers are required in order to open some of these files.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Blood Bank Specialist
- Clinical Genetic Technologist
- Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- Hematology Technician
- Histologic Technician
- Histological Technologies
- Medical Laboratory Technologies
- Ophthalmic Laboratory Tech
- Renal and Dialysis Technician
Free Online Phlebotomy Course List
Loyola University - Chicago
- Arterial Puncture outlines steps for arterial puncture through illustrated notes and a procedural video. A multiple choice quiz is also included. Students can learn about syringe prep, patient care procedures and potential complications.
- Infection Prevention offers a free online brochure for healthcare providers at risk of exposure to infectious diseases. Readers can explore effective prevention methods, such as proper instrument disposal and decontamination, hand hygiene and the use of antiseptics. The brochure is available as a PDF file.
- LabNotes are educational materials designed for healthcare professionals who handle lab specimens. Available newsletters focus on job safety and best practices. Topics of study include capillary blood collection techniques and methods for choosing blood specimen types.
Des Moines University
- Medical Terminology covers medical terms associated with the musculoskeletal, reproductive, respiratory, digestive, urinary, nervous and circulatory systems. A quiz is included at the end of the course, and students who opt to register and pay a fee receive a certificate of participation.
he University of Michigan
- Patient Communication Skills was originally geared toward dental students, but could also prove helpful to other healthcare workers. A series of videos and handouts allows students to learn about patient interaction, cross-cultural patient communication and patient interviewing techniques.
- Phlebotomy is a free online video offering an overview of what a phlebotomist's job entails. Topics include collection sites and necessary equipment, contraindications, indications and potential complications.
University of Utah
- Phlebotomy Tutorial looks at basic venipuncture procedures. Topical outlines are accompanied by illustrations covering such topics as order of draw, sample labeling, patient identification, safety and quality assurance.