Technical Writing Courses for Credit Online
Students won't earn college credit with free online technical writing courses. However Study.com offers a variety of low-cost online video lessons that can students begin the path to earn college credit. People who want to study technical writing may be interested in the English 305: Advanced Technical Writing course. Chapters in this course include:
- Basics of Technical Writing - Topics include the purpose and characteristics of technical communication as well as steps in the technical writing process.
- Technical Editing & Rewriting - Learn how to achieve clarity in technical writing as well as how to proofread, edit and respond to constructive feedback.
- Technical Correspondence - Examine how to write effective workplace and review the rules for using instant and text messaging at work.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Creative Writing, General
Free Online Non-Credit Technical Writing Courses
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Most of the courses offered at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are at the undergraduate level. However, the school does offer one advanced technical writing course that is appropriate for both undergraduate and graduate students. Most courses include free lecture notes, exams and assignments. Students do not receive credits for these courses, and they do not need to formally register to take courses through the school's OpenCourseWare program.
- Intro to Tech Communication introduces students to basic technical writing techniques and processes. The course also addresses intercultural communication.
- Introduction to Technical Communication: Explorations in Scientific and Technical Writing allows students to hone their technical writing skills while learning how to create effective documents. The course is focused on developing technical writing skills and comparing them to standard writing skills.
- Advanced Workshop in Writing for Science and Engineering (ELS) is designed for experienced technical writers. This course approaches both effective writing and oral communication techniques that students can use in a professional setting.
New Jersey Institute of Technology
Aspiring technical writers will also find two free online non-credit courses offered by the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
- Professional and Technical Editing is an introductory seminar that is designed to help students learn technical editing strategies. The course will cover a range of different types of editing techniques and includes approaches to project management and electronic editing.
- Technical Writing is an advanced course in different aspects of technical writing. This course focuses on skills like drafting technical letters and memos, technical jargon and interpersonal interaction. The school presents courses in a series of video lectures that students can download directly from the course websites. Course materials do not include assignments or a reading list.