Free Online Typing Courses
Online typing courses help individuals learn how to type or improve their existing typing skills and speed by showing them where their fingers go and teaching them proper typing technique. The following list is a combination of tutorials, videos and lessons, none of which offer academic credit.
This website provides a free online typing course with 27 guided lessons designed in step-by-step format. The web-based course offers 23 keyboard layouts and does not require downloads or registration. A free typing speed test is also available for individuals interested in gauging their typing capabilities.
- Free Online Typing Course requires users to provide their email address and a password. The lessons instruct students on keyboarding fundamentals, show them where to place their fingers on the keyboard and help them improve their typing accuracy and speed. The course advertises its ability to teach students within hours how to type without looking at the keyboard. Free typing courses are available in English as well as other languages like German, Spanish, Italian, French and Portuguese.
Typing.com offers free typing lessons that are utilized by students and schools each year. Students at various skill levels can learn to type through online lessons. A typing test and games are also available to help learners gauge their capabilities. While registration is not required, students can sign up for a free account to save their progress.
- Typing.com Lessons offer students the opportunity to learn in an interactive online environment. Lessons are available for beginner's, intermediate and advanced typists, starting with individual letters and keys and ultimately focusing on numbers, symbols and advanced words. The lessons use written instructions as well as interactive digital fingers to show students where to place their fingers on the keyboard as they type in real time. Upon completion of each screen within a lesson, students get to learn their typing speed and accuracy.
Typingstudy.com is a free-to-use learning site that gives you the chance to strengthen your typing speed and accuracy. The site stresses the importance of touch typing to improve keyboard skills. Keyboard layouts are available for dozens of languages, including Spanish, French, Italian and Portuguese. Registration is not required to access this site's features.
- Touch Typing uses an approach based on muscle memory in the pursuit of helping students achieve higher speed. Students have access to 15 lessons focused on specific letters, numbers and symbols as well as drills, speed tests, games and other learning tools. Each lesson features an interactive format that shows students where to find letters and place individual fingers when typing. While progressing through lessons, students learn how many characters they've typed as well as their accuracy and speed.
Typingclub.com is a free program designed to help students train in touch typing by means of interactive typing games. It offers both a general and school version of its program. Features include a proper hand posture guide, voice over option that reads each word while students are typing and the ability to playback past typing performances. Users need to create a free profile to save their progress.
- Typing Club includes hundreds of lessons that begin with simple typing skills before progressing into more advanced content. Lessons focus on letters, numbers and symbols, as well as hand placement on the keyboard, the correct sitting posture for typing and QWERTY basics. Upon starting the lessons, all are locked except the first one, encouraging students to learn and progress in a predetermined sequence. However, students can take a free placement test to unlock certain lessons based on their existing typing skills.
ALISON is an e-learning giant founded in Ireland that hosts nearly 1,000 free online courses. You can navigate courses by subject, course type, learning area, level or features. To access courses, students must sign up for a free account, which can be accomplished via email or social media accounts like Facebook, Google Plus or LinkedIn.
- Touch Typing Skills lets students set their goal speed before progressing through lessons focused on each different part of the keyboard and the way fingers interact with it. Students can start with basic techniques, then explore different warmups and training assessments. Sections center on hard-to-type words, numbers, capital letters and more. There are a total of 73 topics to explore with an expected completion time of 1-2 hours.
TypingTest.com is a helpful option for individuals wanting to test their typing speed. In addition to its free typing test, students can utilize Typing Trainer, a free online typing course that teaches students the touch typing method through motoric warm-ups, drills and more. In order to access this free course, students must sign up for a free online account.
- Typing Trainer helps students grasp the basics of typing. There are a total of 21 free lessons available featuring an interactive format that allows students to view the keyboard on the screen and identify which fingers should be placed on which keys, as well as recognize when they touch the right and wrong keys. Within the lessons, students can benefit from features like word drills, sentence drills and skills tests. In addition to lessons, students can access free score reports, typing tests and games.