Health care management programs are available at many highly ranked schools. These programs are commonly offered at the master's degree level.
Three schools that offer strong programs in health management in the United States are the University of Michigan, Arizona State University, and the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. All three schools have been highly ranked by organizations such as U.S. News & World Report. All three also offer graduate programs in health management, which can prepare graduates for executive-level occupations in the healthcare field. Both schools' programs are accredited by the Association of University Programs in Health Administration (AUPHA) and the Commission on Accreditation Healthcare Management Education (CAHME).
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor
|School Highlight: U.S. News & World Report ranked U-M first among schools offering healthcare management programs for 2016.|
The Department of Health Management and Policy at the University of Michigan (U-M) has four graduate-level degree programs in health management. The Master of Health Services Administration (M.H.S.A.) program spotlights the administration of healthcare organizations, while the Master's of Public Health (M.P.H.) focuses on socioeconomics, cultural practices and advocacy within healthcare. The M.H.S.A. and M.P.H. programs are also offered as part of the executive master's program, designed for working professionals. The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Health Services Organization and Policy prepares students for a career in healthcare research, education or policy.
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
|School Highlight: University of Minnesota had the third-ranked healthcare management program in the country, according to U.S. News & World Report for 2016.|
Its Division of Health Policy and Management offers a Master's of Healthcare Administration as both an on-campus program and an offsite, executive master's program; both prepare graduates for leadership roles in the healthcare industry. The emphasis of the M.P.H. degree program is toward improving the healthcare within underserved populations. For those who wish to pursue careers in research and policy, U of M has a M.S. in Health Services Research, Policy and Administration and a Ph.D. in Health Services Research, Policy and Administration.
Arizona State University in Tempe, AZ
|School Highlight:U.S. News & World Report ranked ASU as number one in the 2016 list of most innovative schools.|
ASU offers a completely online master's degree program in healthcare innovation. Students must complete a capstone project. They may also complete an optional internship. Admission is limited to 30 students per semester.
Top Schools for Health Management
These top-rated schools also offer health management programs:
- Boston University in Boston, MA, had $51 million in research funding for the 2016 fiscal year.
- At the University of California in Berkeley, CA, students interested in studying global health matters can take career treks to Washington D.C. and New York to meet with global health organizations.
- Located in Columbia, MO, 100% of the University of Missouri's MHA recent graduates found employment within a year.
- University of North Carolina, located in Chapel Hill, NC, was ranked for 2016 by U.S. News & World Report at #5 in the nation among schools offering graduate programs in healthcare management.
- At the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA, students have access to several research centers, such as the Center for Public Health Practice and the Center for Research on Health Care.
- The University of Washington, located in Seattle, WA, provides MHA students with professional development resources, such as an internship and a mentor program.
- Located in Richmond, VA, Virginia Commonwealth University tied for #3 on U.S. News & World Report's list of best graduate healthcare management programs for 2016.
Students looking for healthcare management programs at the nation's top schools have many considerations, including program resources, online program availability, and internships.