Many top-rated schools offer online finance programs. These programs are typically available at the master's degree level, although some schools do offer undergraduate programs or graduate certificates.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Banking Related Services
- Credit Management
- Financial Mgmt Services
- Financial Planning Services
- International Finance
- Investments and Securities
- Public Finance Mgmt
Several U.S. schools offer online degree programs that lead to a Master of Science (M.S.) in Finance. Finance can also be found as a concentration within Master of Business Administration (MBA) programs, many of which are offered in online and part-time formats. Three universities that offer strong finance programs and are ranked highly by U.S. News & World Report are Indiana University - Bloomington, Boston University and the University of Michigan - Dearborn; descriptions of all three and a list of other possibilities are provided below.
Indiana University - Bloomington
|School Highlight: IU's Kelly School of Business is the nation's second leading producer of CFO's.|
IU - Bloomington is part of the Indiana University system; the school was 86th in U.S. News & World Report's 2016 ranking of top U.S. colleges. The publication also ranked the school 22nd among top finance graduate programs in the nation.
The distance-learning program at the Kelley School of Business offers online degree programs in business and finance. The M.S. in Finance program is 30 credits and can be completed in as little as 15 months. Also available is a 63-credit dual degree program leading to an M.S. in Finance and a Master of Business Administration. Both programs require on-campus residency sessions at the beginning of the program.
University of Michigan - Dearborn
|School Highlight: Admission to UM-Dearborn's Master of Science in Finance program is rolling with the ability to start the program in September and January (May is also possible for part-time students).|
Located just outside of Detroit, Dearborn is a regional campus of the University of Michigan System. The school was 40th in U.S. News & World Report's 2016 ranking of the best regional universities in the Midwest. The College of Business offers a 30-credit online program leading to an M.S. in Finance. The program is designed for professionals in the corporate finance, investment and banking fields. Finance can also be studied as a concentration within the online MBA program, which requires 57-66 credit hours. Dual degree classes can be taken on a part- or full-time basis and are available online, on campus, or a combination of the two.
|School Highlight: A Master of Science in Banking and Financial Services Management is available through BU's Distance Education department.|
Boston University was ranked as 39th in U.S. News & World Report's 2016 ranking of top U.S. colleges. The university also came in 6th for best online graduate business programs (excluding MBA). The 48-credit master's program consists of 12 courses. Students can use degree electives from the program to satisfy some requirements for a graduate certificate.
Top Online Finance Programs
These top-rated schools also offer online finance programs:
- At Bridgewater State University in Bridgewater, MA, an online accounting and finance degree is offered as a mix of evening and online courses, available part-time or full-time.
- At Columbia Southern University in Orange Beach, AL, finance certificate programs are available online at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Degrees offered by the College of Professional Studies at Northeastern University in Boston, MA, include an online Bachelor of Science in Finance and Accounting Management.
- The master's in finance program courses offered by the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale-Davie, FL, can be taken on campus in the evenings or online; a finance graduate certificate is also offered.
- Finance degrees offered online and on-campus at Regis University in Denver, CO, include a combined bachelor's/master's in finance program that requires 152 credit hours or a 158-credit combined bachelor's/MBA.
- University of Nebraska in Lincoln, NE, has an online MBA program that was ranked #15 in the nation for best online MBA programs by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
Many top-ranked schools offer varying degree levels for students to choose from when picking an online finance program. Programs may also be offered in hybrid format or require on-campus residencies.