School and Ranking Information
There are a few schools for students to choose from to study marketing in the area of Richmond. The following schools are regarded as being the top three institutions in the area on account of rankings, school type and tuition rates:
- Winner: The University of Richmond in Richmond is in first place as a result of its graduation rate, national rankings from U.S. News & World Report in 2013 and 2014 and for the school's number of smart classrooms.
- Runner Up #1: Virginia Commonwealth University, found in Richmond, is the first runner up due to its location, degree level options in the field and for presenting students the opportunity to get involved with the American Marketing Association.
- Runner Up #2: Virginia State University, located in Petersburg, is in third place for its tuition amount, being a public school and for being regionally ranked by U.S. News & World Report in 2014.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||University of Richmond||Virginia Commonwealth University||Virginia State University|
|Ranking|| #25 national liberal arts college for 2014,
#58 undergraduate business program in 2013*
| #167 national university for 2014,
#111 undergraduate business program in 2013*
|#84 regional university (South) for 2014*|
|Location||Richmond, VA||Richmond, VA||Petersburg, VA (22 miles from Richmond)|
|School Type||4-year, private, not-for-profit||4-year, public||4-year, public|
|Tuition and Fees (2012-2013)||$44,210 (undergraduate)**|| $9,886 (in-state, undergraduate),
$23,913 (out-of-state, undergraduate),
$11,521 (in-state, graduate),
$21,585 (out-of-state, graduate)**
| $7,420 (in-state, undergraduate),
$16,388 (out-of-state, undergraduate)**
|Marketing Degree Levels Offered||Bachelor's degree||Bachelor's and master's degree||Bachelor's degree|
|Accounting Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2011-2012||181 (includes all business administration bachelor's degrees)**||105 (bachelor's degrees in marketing only)**||21**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2006 Entering Class||83%**||56%**||42% (16% transfer-out rate)**|
|Noteworthy||11 high-technology classrooms||Marketing Department newsletter Market Place||Marketing Club|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Business Communications, General
- International Marketing
- Marketing Management
- Marketing Research
Winner: University of Richmond
- Ranked as the #2 up-and-coming school and #14 best value school nationwide for 2014, according to U.S. News & World Report
- Program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- Marketing students can pursue the Lyon Scholarship
Students at the University of Richmond can pursue a Bachelor of Business Administration with a marketing emphasis through the Robins School of Business. Courses in the program include marketing principles, sales and product management, international marketing, marketing research and marketing communications. Additional topics include sports marketing, case analysis, consumer behavior and brand management. A directed independent study is also part of the curriculum, and students may complete an internship for credit.
Runner Up #1: Virginia Commonwealth University
- Student chapter of the American Marketing Association
- Multiple scholarships available to marketing students
- The Marketing Department hosts the Research Seminar Series
The Bachelor of Science in Marketing at Virginia Commonwealth University is 120 credits and includes core coursework in marketing problems, marketing decisions, buyer behavior and international marketing. The program explores the Buyer Behavior Model and how it applies to marketing decisions, along with topics like Internet marketing and product development. A field experience is part of the curriculum as well.
Students enrolled in the Master of Science in Business program have the opportunity to pursue a concentration in branding. This concentration offers sub-specialties in art direction, communications strategy, copywriting, creative brand management and creative technology. A global marketing management concentration is also available with sub-specialties in marketing management and global business management.
Runner Up #2: Virginia State University
- Ranked #42 among public schools in the regional university (South) category for 2014, per U.S. News & World Report
- Marketing students can pursue internships and scholarships
- The AACSB accredits the School of Business
A bachelor's degree in marketing at Virginia State University is offered through the Department of Management and Marketing. The 121-credit program prepares students to work in profit and not-for-profit settings. The curriculum covers marketing communications, brand management, advertising, consumer behavior, international marketing and direct marketing; an internship is also part of the program. The on-campus Marketing Club allows students to participate in case studies and projects.