School and Ranking Information
Several New York City and area schools offer marketing management studies as standalone programs or as part of business administration programs. The following three schools with marketing programs in New York City stand out based on their rankings, levels of study and graduation rates:
- Winner: Columbia University earns the top spot because of its high overall national ranking as well as its marketing program rankings. In addition, the school has the highest graduation rate among the three schools. The university awards only graduate degrees in this field of study.
- Runner Up #1: New York University is the largest of the schools by enrollment and has high graduation rates and national marketing program rankings, allowing it to grab the first runner up spot. Students can earn a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree in marketing.
- Runner Up #2: Coming in at the third spot is Pace University, based on its national rankings and internship opportunities. Marketing is offered an an area of concentration within the school's undergraduate and graduate business administration programs.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Columbia University||New York University||Pace University|
|Rankings|| #8 among marketing MBA programs, national (2013),
#4 among national universities (2014)*
| #7 among undergraduate marketing programs, national (2013),
#10 among marketing MBA programs, national (2013),
#32 among national universities (2014)*
| #159 among undergraduate business programs, national (2013),
#150 among part-time MBA programs, national (2013),
#173 among national universities (2014)*
|Location||New York, NY||New York, NY||New York, NY|
|School Type||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit||4-year, private not-for-profit|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-2013)||$38,380 (graduate)**|| $43,204 (undergraduate),
| $36,614 (undergraduate),
|Marketing Management Degree Levels Offered||Master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees||Bachelor's and master's degrees|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal program time) for 2006 Entering Class||95%**||85%**||56%**|
|Noteworthy||Strategic marketing management program for executives||Center for Measurable Marketing offers hands-on seminars and forums||According to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, Lubin grads have 10% higher job placement rate than the national average|
Sources: *U.S. News & World Report, **National Center for Education Statistics (NCES).
Winner: Columbia University
- Business school is ranked #8 in the country by U.S. News & World Report for 2014
- Marketing Association of Columbia offers networking opportunities and interviewing workshops
The Columbia Business School of Columbia University offers MBA and Executive MBA programs in marketing. The MBA curriculum includes core courses in business analytics, operations management and financial accounting. Marketing classes cover digital marketing, managing brands and marketing in the arts, among other topics. Students in their third or fourth terms can study abroad in a variety of locations, including Singapore and South Africa. Columbia's executive MBA program offers flexible class schedules on Fridays and Saturdays. A research-focused doctoral program in marketing is also available.
Runner-Up #1: New York University
- MBA marketing students can work as departmental tutors, graders or teaching fellows
- Graduate Marketing Association hosts alumni networking events and student competitions
- Undergraduate Marketing Society was named Club of the Year at NYU for 2012-2013
Undergraduate marketing students at NYU can specialize in a variety of sub-fields, including brand management, marketing consulting, international marketing and marketing research. After completing core requirements, students may take electives in strategic marketing management, international marketing management or retail management, among others. Internships are available throughout New York City.
NYU's marketing MBA program emphasizes managerial strategy, and it's available in both full-time and part-time formats. Students may specialize in entertainment, media, and technology; general marketing; luxury marketing; or product management. This school also offers a Ph.D. in Marketing and an executive MBA program with a marketing concentration.
Runner-up #2: Pace University
- 7th largest private business school in the country accredited by the Association for the Advancement of Collegiate Schools of Business
- Lubin School of Business Awarded 4 Palms as a Top Business School by EDUNIVERSAL
- #1 school in NYC for internship placement according to U.S. News & World Report
Undergraduate students at Pace University can earn a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing with a concentration in either advertising and integrated marketing communications or global marketing management. These programs are available at the New York City campus or 30 miles away at the school's Pleasantville, NY, campus. Graduate students can earn a Master of Business Administration in Marketing Management. Individual online courses may be available for undergraduate and graduate students. All students are encouraged to meet with faculty counselors about participating in internship programs, which last 8-12 weeks. Internships may be paid or unpaid and may count for academic credit.
Other School Options
New York City College of Technology offers an associate's degree in marketing management and sales. In addition, Saint Joseph's College - New York offers a Bachelor of Science in Marketing program at its Brooklyn and Patchogue campuses.