School and Ranking Information
Nearly all of the schools within a 60-mile radius of Stockton, California, that offer massage therapy programs are for-profit colleges, institutes or beauty schools. Based on school type, rankings and number of degrees awarded, the following school is considered one of the top schools in the area for massage therapy:
- Winner: De Anza College in Cupertino, California, is located approximately 60 miles from Stockton. It offers massage therapy programs, including an Associate of Arts in Massage Therapy and a Certificate of Achievement in Massage Therapy. It is the only public college in the Stockton area to provide these types of programs.
School Info Chart
|Rankings||Ranks as a top California community college for transfers to state and private universities*|
|School Type||2-year, public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $1,542 (in state); $8,022 (out-of-state)**|
|Massage Therapy Degrees Offered||Certificate, Associate's|
|Massage Therapy Certificates and Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2012-2013||12**|
|Most Popular Massage Therapy Award Level in 2012-2013||<1 Year Certificate (8 awarded)**|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||60%**|
|Noteworthy||The first community college in the state of California to award an associate's degree in massage therapy; member of the American Massage Therapy Association; school is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges|
Sources: *De Anza College; **NCES College Navigator
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Asian Therapies - Massage and Bodywork
- Massage Therapy
- Somatic Bodywork
De Anza College
- Therapeutic-based program
- Integrates classroom instruction with lab work and hands-on projects
- Requires completion of a 144-hour hands-on internship
- Prepares students to complete the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork and become certified massage therapists in the state of California
Founded in 1967, De Anza College is located roughly 60 miles outside of Stockton in the small city of Cupertino, California. The 2-year public school sits on a 112-acre campus at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains in the middle of Silicon Valley. It serves more than 23,000 students per year and offers an average class size of about 35 students. The school offers approximately 65 associate's degree programs and 125 certificate programs in vocational and academic subjects, including the Physical Education/Athletics Division that offers vocational programs related to physical fields. This division houses De Anza College's massage therapy programs.
Students can earn a Certificate of Achievement or Associate of Arts in Massage Therapy. In both programs, students gain a practical understanding of deep tissue massage, sports massage and international massage techniques through courses in chair massage, table shiatsu, tai chi, nutrition, athletic performance, stress management and stretching. The programs also have a medical basis and require students to study human anatomy, physiology and medical terminology. In the 2-year degree program, students must also complete general education and elective courses.