School and Ranking Information
Individuals interested in a medical assistant program in Stockton, CA will find about seven schools offering programs. Graduates of these programs are eligible to take the industry association examinations to become certified or registered medical assistants. Based on program offerings and location, the top schools in the area are:
- Winner: Kaplan College - Stockton, a private for-profit school, awarded the most medical assistant credentials in the city in 2011.
- Runner-Up #1: MTI Business College, another private for-profit school, also offers a diploma in medical assisting and offers students personalized attention. It earns second place for its high graduation rate and location in Stockton.
- Runner-Up #2: San Joaquin Delta College is the only public school in the city that offers a medical assisting program. It offers the lowest tuition among these schools.
School Comparison Chart
|Category||Kaplan College||MTI Business College||San Joaquin Delta College|
|Location||Stockton, CA||Stockton, CA||Stockton, CA|
|School Type||2-year; private for-profit||2-year; private for-profit||2-year; public|
|Tuition & Fees (2012-13)||$14,280**||$8,020**||$736***|
|Medical Assistant Program Levels Offered||Diploma||Diploma||Certificate|
|Medical Assistant Diplomas and Certificates Awarded (All Levels) in (2005)||167**||30**||Not available|
|Most Popular Medical Assistant Program (2011-12)||Diploma in Medical/Clinical Assistant (117 diplomas awarded)||Diploma in Medical/Clinical Assistant (30 diplomas awarded)**||Not available***|
|2008 Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time)||70%**||83%**||25%**|
|Noteworthy||Largest medical/clinical assistant program in Stockton||Medical assistant program requires 900 hours of training||Lowest tuition and fees costs for program***|
Sources: *U.S. News and World Report, **NCES College Navigator, ***San Joaquin Delta College
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Anesthesiologist Assistant
- Chiropractic Technician
- Clinical Laboratory Assistant
- EMT Ambulance
- Health Aide
- Home Health Aide
- Medical or Clinical Assistant
- Medication Aide
- Occupational Therapist Assistant
- Pathology Assistant
- Pharmacy Technician
- Physical Therapist Assistant
- Respiratory Therapy Technician
- Veterinary Technician
Winner: Kaplan College - Stockton
- 36-week program requires 760 contact hours
- Facilities include a 21,000-square foot building with specialized classrooms
- A diploma in medical office assistant/specialist is also available
The Stockton campus of Kaplan College, a private for-profit school, offers a 1-year diploma program in medical/clinical assistant that provides graduates with the technical skills, knowledge and professional training to seek entry-level jobs in this field. Students learn routine clinical and administrative tasks including recording vital signs, taking medical histories, collecting and preparing laboratory specimens and sterilizing medical instruments. They also train with various equipment and instruments, including lab testing machines, phlebotomy equipment and EKG machines. Program graduates are eligible for industry association exam to become a Certified Medical Assistant or a Registered Medical Assistant. The school also offers a related medical office specialist program.
Runner-Up #1: MTI Business College
- Medical assistant program requires 900 hours of training
- Program prepares students for entry-level employment
- Individualized, personal attention
MTI Business College offers a diploma in medical assistant program that takes about 36 weeks to complete. Courses include clinical theory and lab, pharmacology, medical management, phlebotomy and medical terminology. This program offers flexible schedules to help students complete the program within the expected time frame. Students have access to modern facilities, including medical equipment for training. A medical office specialist program is also available.
Runner-Up #2: San Joaquin Delta College
- Only public school in Stockton offering medical office assistant program
- Lowest program tuition and fees among these three schools
- 12-month program
San Joaquin Delta College is the only public college in Stockton that offers a medical office assistant program. This 1-year program prepares students for medical office administrative duties and covers subjects such as medical terminology and hospital, clinical and laboratory procedures. Students learn medical office administrative duties such as medical records management, bookkeeping and billing. This program is part of the college's Applied Science, Business and Technology Division's certificate programs.