Medical Claims Examiner Schools and Colleges: How to Choose

Handling medical insurance payments requires a good understanding of both the healthcare and insurance industries, as well as expertise in office administration. Students who want to become medical claims examiners can find a program that addresses each topic and meets their individual needs.

View popular schools

Medical claims examiners often earn a certificate or associate's degree in medical billing, medical transcription, or office administration.

Find schools that offer these popular programs

  • Health Care Administration
  • Health Information and Records Admin
  • Health Information Technology
  • Health Management and Clinical Administration
  • Health Unit Coordinator
  • Health Ward Supervisor
  • Medical Administrative Assistant or Secretary
  • Medical Claims Examiner
  • Medical Facilities Management
  • Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
  • Medical Insurance Services
  • Medical Office Computer Technologies
  • Medical Office Management
  • Medical Office Specialist
  • Medical Receptionist
  • Medical Staff Services
  • Medical Transcriptionist

Schools with Medical Claims Examiner Programs

These schools grant degrees and certificates for medical claims examiners and medical insurance specialists or billers.

College/University Location Institution Type Degrees Offered Undergraduate Tuition
Salt Lake Community College Salt Lake City, UT 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $3,569 in-state, $11,337 out-of-state
New Mexico State University-Dona Ana Las Cruces, NM 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $1,632 in-district, $1,968 in-state, $5,184 out-of-state
Community College of Philadelphia Philadelphia, PA 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $4,920 in-district, $9,360 in-state, $13,800 out-of-state
Madison Area Technical College Madison, WI 4-year, primarily associate's, Public Undergraduate Certificate $4,217 in-state, $6,143 out-of-state
Northwest Technical College Bemidji, MN 2-year, Public Associate's, Undergraduate Certificate $5,480
Lansing Community College Lansing, MI 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $3,020 in-district, $5,660 in-state, $8,300 out-of-state
Shoreline Community College Shoreline, WA 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $3,730 in-state, $6,451 out-of-state
Community College of Rhode Island Warwick, RI 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $4,266 in-state, $11,496 out-of-state
Tacoma Community College Tacoma, WA 2-year, Public Undergraduate Certificate $4,194 in-state, $9,354 out-of-state

*Source: NCES College Navigator.

School Selection Criteria

Program selection depends a great deal on how much time a student is able to devote to academics and how broadly he or she wants to study. Consider the following when selecting a medical claims examiner program:

  • Many schools offer a certificate or diploma for fewer credit hours than an associate's degree.
  • Choose a program that best focuses on your career goals; do you want to be certified or work in other areas of healthcare?
  • Claims examiners need to be proficient in a variety of computer programs, so students should look for courses in typing and software applications.
  • Students should evaluate prospective programs for their support in finding externships.

Certificate in Medical Billing

These programs focus on specific aspects of claims, such as diagnosis and procedure coding systems. They also teach students basic medical vocabulary. Course topics include word processing, business grammar, human anatomy, and medical ethics.

Certificate in Healthcare Office Administration

Many certificate programs, while still teaching medical claims examination, study healthcare from a broader perspective. Students prepare to run every facet of a small medical office. These programs may be ideal for medical professionals who want to take on more administrative responsibilities. Classes may focus on public health science, legal regulations, bookkeeping, and office procedures.

Associate's Degree in Medical Transcription

Degree programs lasting two years give medical claims students a foundation in both the science of medicine and the liberal arts. The range of classes tends to be broader than in certificate programs. Possible courses include psychology, pharmacology, public speaking, diversity in healthcare, and international disease classification.

Most programs available in medical billing and claims examination take less than a year to complete and culminate in a certificate. However, a few schools also offer relevant associate's degree programs.

Next: View Schools

What is your highest level of education?

Some College
Complete your degree or find the graduate program that's right for you.
High School Diploma
Explore schools that offer bachelor and associate degrees.
Still in High School
Earn your diploma of GED. Plan your undergraduate education.

Schools you may like:

Popular Schools

The listings below may include sponsored content but are popular choices among our users.

Find your perfect school

What is your highest level of education?