Missouri Career Guide: Overview of Hot Careers in Missouri (MO)
Missouri is rich in history and scenic beauty, boasting two great waterways: the powerful Mississippi and the Missouri. Economy-wise, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported an average hourly wage of $21.89 across all occupations in the state. Additionally, the BLS reported that MO had a civilian labor force of more than 3 million in April 2018, with an unemployment rate of 3.6%. The trade, transportation, and utilities sector and the health and education services sector had the largest employment in the state; orthodontists, psychiatrists, surgeons, dentists, purchasing managers, and pharmacists were among the top earners per hour, on average.
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
CareerOneStop reported these companies and organizations as the top employers in Missouri in 2018. Each of these businesses employed at least 7,500 workers, and while most were located in St. Louis, others were found in Branson, Kansas City, Springfield and Liberty.
- Viasystems Group Inc.
- Express Scripts Holding Co.
- St. Luke's Health System
- Washington University Med Center
- Barnes-Jewish Hospital
- Mercy Hospital
- Ford Kansas City Assembly
- St. John's Speech Therapy
- St. Louis University
According to CareerOneStop, these are projected to be the fastest-growing careers in Missouri between 2014-2024. They can expect growth during this ten-year period at a rate of 27% - 41%. A broad range of industries are represented on this list, from healthcare to scientific research to diving:
- Commercial Divers
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapy Assistants
- Operations Research Analysts
- Biochemists and Biophysicists
- Interpreters and Translators
- Physical Therapists
- Home Health Aides