School and Ranking Information
Most of the schools in the Columbus area that offer office management-type degrees are usually offering these in the form of business management or administrative assistant programs. We selected the following school as the top choice in the area due to applicable coursework, number of programs and course flexibility.
- Winner: Columbus State Community College (CSCC) is located in downtown Columbus, OH. The school provides an associate's degree program in business office applications in addition to certificate programs that enhance office management skills.
School Info Chart
|Category||Columbus State Community College|
|School Type||2-year; public|
|Tuition & Fees (2013-2014)||Undergrad: $3,790 (in-state); $8,186 (out-of-state)*|
|Office Management Degrees Offered||Certificate; Associate's|
|Office Management Degrees Awarded (all levels) in 2013||33*|
|Most Popular Office Management Degree Level in 2013||Associate's*|
|Undergraduate Graduation Rate (in 150% of normal degree time) for 2010 Entering Class||8%*|
|Noteworthy||The business programs at CSCC are accredited by ACBSP**|
Sources: *NCES College Navigator, **Columbus State Community College
Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Actuarial Sciences
- Business and Commerce, General
- Business Statistics
- Customer Service Management
- Logistics, Distribution, and Materials Management
- Management Science
- Office Management
- Operations Management
- Public and Nonprofit Organizational Management
- Purchases, Acquisitions, and Contracts Management
- Transportation Management
Columbus State Community College
- Students who complete the bookkeeping and the office specialist certificate program are eligible to take the bookkeeping certification exam and the Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam, respectively
- Both of the certificate options are offered completely online
- The business office applications program also offers a medical administrative assistant major, for students interested in medical office management
Just over 24,000 total students attend classes on Columbus State Community College's two campuses, nine regional centers and through online course options. While relatively large in enrollment population, CSCC is able to cultivate a personalized learning environment with an average class size of 19.
The Associate of Applied Science in Business Office Applications: Administrative Assistant Major is a 2-year program that helps students acquire proficiency in common operating systems and software. Coursework covers business communication, transcription and leadership skills. Both work simulations and potential fieldwork opportunities can help students prepare for the atmosphere they'll encounter in entry-level office work.
The office specialist certificate curriculum highlights skills in graphical presentation, word processing, electronic spreadsheets and other desktop applications.
Students develop a working knowledge of office bookkeeping while enrolled in the Bookkeeping Certificate program. The program of study covers such concepts as journal transactions, financial statements, payroll accounting methods and bank reconciliations. Students also learn about current accounting software and electronic spreadsheets.