Overview of Omaha
In 2018, the City of Omaha, NE, had an estimated population of just over 450,000, which made it the largest city in Nebraska and the 44th largest city in the United States, according to World Population Review. The Combined Statistical Area (CSA) of Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA had an unemployment rate of just 3.0% as of March 2018, according to data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This rate has fallen from January 2018's rate of 3.2%. In May 2017, the BLS reported that the average hourly wage for those working in the Omaha-Council Bluffs area was $22.91.
The largest employers in Omaha employ between 2,000 and 10,000 people. According to the most recent information provided by America's Career InfoNet, a resource of the U.S. Department of Labor, the following are the largest employers in Omaha:
- Nebraska Medicine
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Taylor Telecommunications, Inc.
- Union Pacific Railroad Co.
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Co.
- West Corp.
- Children's Hospital and Medical Center
- Methodist Hospital
- Douglas County Commissioners
According to the Nebraska Department of Labor, the following are projected to be among the fastest-growing jobs in the Omaha Consortium over the 2014-2024 decade. By their definition, the Omaha Consortium refers to the Nebraska counties in the Omaha Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Orthotists and Prosthetists
- Electrical Power Line Installers and Repairers
- Home Health Aides
- Veterinary Technologists and Technicians
- Physical Therapists
- Operations Research Analysts
- Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics
- Credit Counselors
- Psychologists, All Other