Find schools that offer these popular programs
- Animal Health Sciences
- Animal Nutrition
- Dairy Science
- Farm Animal Breeding
- Livestock Management
- Poultry Science
Online Animal Husbandry Classes
Below are some of the online courses available to students in the field of animal husbandry.
- Introductory Animal Science Class: This introductory class usually takes place in the beginning of a student's program and serves as a prerequisite to more in-depth animal husbandry classes. Professors give an overview of animal production, nutrition and management.
- Animal Nutrition Class: Functioning in some programs as a precursor to species-specific nutrition classes, this course covers feeding procedures, the digestive anatomy of livestock and the nutrients farm animals need for their health and well-being.
- Animal Genetics Class: This class is usually taken in the middle of an animal science or animal husbandry program. The class learns about basic gene theory and the genetic makeup of livestock. Students also study important information about breeding, such as physical and disease inheritance.
- Management of Livestock Class: A livestock management class may provide a general overview of what it takes to care for all types of livestock; however, this topic is sometimes divided into species-specific classes, such as horse management or dairy management. Students learn behavioral characteristics of individual species, common health issues and proper health care provision.
- Dairy Production Principles: Topics of study cover milk production and dairy farming methods both in the U.S. and worldwide. Students learn about the health and nutrition of dairy cows, reproduction cycles, marketing, stable maintenance and waste management.
- Calf Rearing Course: Provides training for individuals who plan to raise calves, whether for dairy or beef production. Students examine various calf-rearing systems, as well as the different stages of the calf's life, from birthing to weaning to post-weaning.
- Animal Disease Control Course: Students learn about conditions that adversely affect the health of animals. Emphasis is placed on developing and implementing strategies to maintain animal health and prevent disease.
Courses in animal husbandry, also known as animal science, teach students how to care for farm animals, such as horses, chickens and cows. Individuals can find such classes within an online associate's or bachelor's degree program in animal or agricultural science. Certificate programs in dairy production or other specialized fields of study are also available. Graduates qualify for jobs in the farm and livestock industry.
Students taking online animal husbandry courses typically read the required material on their own time and submit assignments via email. Students also participate in discussion boards and online forums with their teachers and peers. Some classes offer optional field trips for students to study animals in a hands-on environment.
Aspiring farmers, ranchers and others who plan to work in the agricultural field can benefit from online courses in animal husbandry. They can provide education in the basics of animal science, and they also cover common practices in the care and management of a variety of farm animal species.